Is TV Server right for my purpose (2 Viewers)

RSykes

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I am looking at TV Server to determine if it is what I require for my purpose and I hoped someone will point me in the right direction.

I have Mediaportal running in my living room and the TV signal comes from a cable box, what I want to do is be able to watch the TV on another PC upstairs across my wireless network.

Is this what the TV server and client do for me?

Will it effect my current Mediaportal pc in my living room (performance wise) as I have only one tv card?

Thanks

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    If your wireless connect is pretty good... it should do ok, streaming the video. Because you only have 1 tv card... you can only watch it at one place at the same time (unless it's the same show) You should be able to stream a recorded or live show without effect your other PC. You should be albe to watch recorded shows, dvd's and things like that.

If you have any other questions, just let us know.

RSykes

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Movies and such are not a problem as I can do that at the moment with shared network drives it was just the TV I was concerned about.

I will work my way through the TV Server documentation on how to get it up and running and see if I come across any barriers, then I can start looking at writing my first plugin.

Thanks

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The wireless may not be so good. You'll have to try it for your self. I find too many breaks in the stream. (I have laptop with built-in intel wireless card and a linksys access point only about 10 meters away. If U can run a cat5 cable then it would be much better. otherwise you will be all set to go. On the server (your current MP box) installl tvserver, configure, install the tvserver plug-in for mediaportal.
    On your network client just installl MP and the tvserver plug-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom