Issues with ATI HDTV Wonder on Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
October 19, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I recently updated to Windows 10 and lost Media Center, which allowed me to watch live TV using my really old ATI HDTV Wonder card. While I rarely watch TV on my computer, I thought I could get it setup for the very few times I may end up wanting to, and I read that MediaPortal was a good alternative to WMC. However, I'm having an issue with scanning for channels. I see my card in the list of tuners, but when I go to scan for channels on the ATSC tuner, I get the error message "signal locked, no channels found" on the channels I should be getting. I've attached my log files to see if you can help assist with my issue.

I've tried both MP1 and MP2 and it errors out the same way. I even tried grouping the analog and digital tuners together didn't help any. Additionally, I tried another program (Arcsoft Total Media) and that also failed to find any channels, so I'm not entirely sure it's a problem with MP, but something with my computer. I'll try to re-install the drivers for the card when I get home and give it another shot. If that doesn't work, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
October 19, 2015
Home Country
Just as an experiment, I had some older hardware so I did a clean install of Windows 10 to see if somehow it was my install of Windows 10 that broke something. Turns out, it wasn't, and it still didn't work. Since the card is over 10 years old and is no longer supported, I feel that it is best to retire the card in the old hardware grave. Given that there are now better ways to watch TV on the computer, if I'm so inclined I will pursue those options instead.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Well, since it worked in WMC it should work in MediaPortal too. Both MP1 and MP2 are using the same TV Engine now so changing one to another couldn't help
    I'm not an expert in TV part but from log s it looks like your tuner is trying to tune ATSC channels so maybe some setting is wrong and you're not receiving results.
    I could only tag our guru @mm1352000 and very informed guy from US @RonD

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
    October 19, 2015
    Home Country
    I guess my first post forgot an important clarification. WMC worked in Windows 7, but due to its removal in Windows 10, I gave MP2 a try. Do you know what setting could be the culprit? I do know when I scan channels, it shows that the signal strength is strong. After re-reading the guides, I'll check to see if there are any config options that help, particularly with codecs.

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
    October 19, 2015
    Home Country
    I've tried both generic and ATSC in preferred network provider with the same results. The drivers are from 2005 with no hope of ever getting updated, so it would appear that the card is not going to work in Windows 10.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For what it's worth: despite the current results, I'd be quite surprised if a tuner that works in W7 doesn't work in W10. Microsoft have not made any significant changes to the tuner driver/support framework since W7.

Would I be right to assume you're using the tuner in the same USB port/connector as you used with W7?
    Have you installed the drivers from AMD/ATI, or are you using drivers that came from Microsoft/Windows? (ATI/AMD drivers are recommended)

Unfortunately I can't help you any further with MediaPortal 2. If you could retry the tuner with MediaPortal 1 and post fresh log files then it may be possible to investigate further.

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
    October 19, 2015
    Home Country
    I'll check the tuner card in Windows 7 again to see if the card itself isn't broken. I was using the drivers from Windows update, which when looking at the driver number, matched the AMD ones (3.0.83.2036). I've rarely used the card so it's entirely possible that it's a hardware issue and doesn't work anymore. I'll report back when I test it out.

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
    October 19, 2015
    Home Country
    Finally got my Windows 7 box setup and tested, and I scanned for channels this morning and it found 34 of them (Windows Media Center found only 21). Since I ran out of time, I haven't re-tested in Windows 10 to see if I get channels. I've exported the channels and plan on importing them into my actual computer with the card to see if that works. However, I might try to get an actual picture from the Windows 7 box first as I only tried to watch TV for a few minutes before I had to leave and it wasn't showing picture (WMC was though, so likely just need to tweak a setting or something in MP2). I grabbed logs from the Windows 7 PC and can upload them if necessary.

Gregory Bartels

Portal Member
    October 19, 2015
    Home Country
    Tested the Windows 7 box, and both WMC and MP2 were able to get TV to show. Moved the card to my normal computer, which has Windows 10, and imported the channels. When I try to preview them after mapping them to my ATSC tuner, I get Preview Failed: NoPMT found. Since I had an older Windows 7 install on a different hard drive on my PC with Windows 10, I went ahead and updated that (just to ensure it wasn't just my motherboard), imported channels and previewed a channel and it worked just fine, relatively speaking (my antenna kind of sucks, but generally gets the job done). Tried again with ATSC instead of Generic in preferred network provider with the same results.

Overall, it seems like there's some driver issue with Windows 10. About the only thing left that I haven't tried is using MP1 with my imported channels list, but since they're using the same TV engine, I doubt that will help. Thanks for trying to help with debug, but it appears my old card hit the end of the road (at least with Windows 10). I do have a solution to watch TV if need be via my old Windows install, so unless there's other suggestions (particularly with the Preview Failed: NoPMT Found), I think that's what I'll do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom