iTunes and Genres (2 Viewers)

ddahlstrom

Portal Member
October 25, 2005
I've been trying out Media Portal using the latest RC version. Primarily, I'm using it as a tool for displaying pictures and playing back music. With regard to music, I use iTunes and have all of my music recorded in Apple Lossless (.m4a) format. I have discovered, however, that my genres are not all showing up under My Music. For example, music classified as "Classical" or "Jazz" shows up, but music classified as "Crossover" or "Christmas" does not (they are reclassified as "unknown").

After a little investigation, it appears that only music classified using one of the original ID3 labels (as listed in MP4TagReader.cs) will work. This is apparently why my custom genre labels do not appear.

I know very little about ID3 conventions, but the problem seems pretty clear and I've hacked a bit of code that seems to solve it for me. I have two questions.

1. I don't seem to see this issue documented anywhere--which makes me wonder whether I missed some other solution to this other than my code change. Has anyone else run into this?

2. If this sounds like something that might be useful to others, I can submit it. I assume this should be done as a patch submission to SourceForge. Is this correct?

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom