Operating System Jerky video output with projector (24/120Hz, not MP-related) (1 Viewer)

Groschi

Portal Member
May 13, 2008
Hi.
I'm posting this in the OS section since this is a system-wide problem and does not only affect Media Portal. Maybe someone here has experienced similar issues and can point me to where the problems may lay.

First the cold system facts: Running Windows 7. GeForce 210 connected to a LCD screen via DVI (1680*1050, 60Hz) and an Acer 1311WH projector via HDMI (1280*800, 24 or 120Hz for smooth 24p playback). The projector is connected over a 3-port active HDMI-switchbox, alongside a bluray player.

Since this is also my desktop machine, my usual workflow is starting the PC with only the LCD screen activated, set up as primary device. Whenever i get into the entertainment mood, i switch over to the projector only, also set up as primary display device to avoid the typical problems with video on secondary displays.
Whenever i do that there's a ~50% chance that everything goes well and i get silky smooth playback using ReClock. If it doesn't, then not only video playback, but the whole graphics output is incredibly jerky, basically unwatchable at 24Hz and still rather obvious at 120Hz. Sometimes it helps changing refresh rates back and forth, switching between displays or turning the projector off and on again, but none of those works reliably. It seems totally random to me.
I've tried booting with only the projector on several times and after that usually everything worked nicely, but as you can imagine i don't want to reboot my PC every time i want to watch a movie.
I haven't got any clue what causes the trouble. It might even be a problem caused by my projector alone.
Has anyone else here ever experienced issues like this?

Last edited:

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Do you stop media before changing display?

I have also a setup with LCD tv and projector. I used to switch the primary screen but now use an receiver as switch. I nowadays sometimes get problem with half screen. Restart of MediaPortal is the safest thing when you switch right now. Schynthe is working on a fix for the half screen problem and also other general display issues.

cunnox

Portal Member
    October 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I had found with fullscreen gaming, so may or may not apply to fullscreen video, that the 'Taskbar' needs to be on the same monitor, even if hidden. This was the case for me regardless of which monitor was primary.

Groschi

Portal Member
    May 13, 2008
    Do you stop media before changing display?

I have also a setup with LCD tv and projector. I used to switch the primary screen but now use an receiver as switch. I nowadays sometimes get problem with half screen. Restart of MediaPortal is the safest thing when you switch right now. Schynthe is working on a fix for the half screen problem and also other general display issues.
    I usually switch displays, then start media portal. Won't help since MP doesn't seem to be the problem. The whole graphics output is affected.

I had found with fullscreen gaming, so may or may not apply to fullscreen video, that the 'Taskbar' needs to be on the same monitor, even if hidden. This was the case for me regardless of which monitor was primary.
    Haven't ever thought about that, but since the LCD screen is deactivated when i'm using the projector, the taskbar is visible of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom