Just bought a new wireless router... (1 Viewer)

Becky

November 4, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I don't have an HTPC setup going yet. At this point, all I have is a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Dual High Definition Digital Television HDHR3-US and a Netgear R6300 dual-band wireless router (offers speeds up to 450+1300‡ Mbps). I just got the router in the mail today. It's so fast!

My question is, what kind of wireless network cards do I want to get for my future HTPC setup to maximize the faster data speeds I have access to now? I haven't bought an HTPC server or client boxes at this point. The R6300 is compatible with 802.11ac/a/b/g/n devices.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

~Becky

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Becky

Whatever make router I had in the past, I made sure I used the same make wifi card, but nowadays with wifi onboard most motherboards you do not have that choice, as long as they are "n" they are backwards compatible with b\g standards.

Wireless is not 100% reliable, if you find you are getting any internet dropouts, then that can play havoc with our TVServer, which needs a stable network connection, of course there are ways around this for what we call a singleseat setup, ie tvcard is in the pc that is going to play the stream see here for fix for that setup, otherwise hardwired is the better choice for server\client multiseat, see how it goes.

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I tried using wireless from hdhomerun to tv server, that did not end well.
    I also tried using just tv server running wireless and tv from cabeled usb dongle, that did not go well.
    Today im wired, that is great ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom