Just now setting up my tvserver a couple questions (1 Viewer)

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am just now getting my tvserver setup I have a couple questions.

I have a WinTV-HVR 2250 card I am going to install MP as a tvserver on the pc that has the card that is the only job it will do.

I have read the wiki on hybrid cards.
    I am going to use schedules direct , comskip and comclean do I need to install these on the server or on the clients? Or do they go on both.

How will I get the tv guide or does that come from schedules direct?

Any other pointers would be great.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    comskip runs on the tvserver, as it needs access to the recorded files directly (no streaming). It can be run as a tvserver plugin. The other two: don't know - sorry.

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    I scanned all my channels but most of them dont come up names for the channels is this something that has to be done manually or can it be done automatically?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi bc0508

I am going to use schedules direct , comskip and comclean do I need to install these on the server or on the clients? Or do they go on both.
    SchedulesDirect is also installed on the server. I've never heard of comclean.

How will I get the tv guide or does that come from schedules direct?
    From SchedulesDirect. To get guide info:

1. Create an account and set up a line-up on their website (schedulesdirect.org).
    2. Install the plugin for TV Server (here). The install instructions are in the Readme file. You can restart TV Server in the manual control section of TV Server configuration.
    3. Open TV Server configuration.
    4. Rename all your channels to match the callsign (eg. WXABC) in the SchedulesDirect lineup *exactly*.5. Navigate to the plugins section, enable the Schedules Direct plugin.
    6. Expand the plugins node to get to the Schedules Direct configuration.
    7. Enter your SD.org account details.
    8. On the "advanced options" tab the most important settings (in my opinion) are:
    - "automatically add new digital cable/satellite channels": I would untick that since it will be simplest to scan the channels in with your tuner. Ticking that may create channels that you can't receive which then makes it tricky to get the guide information for those channels.
    - "allow EPG channel mapping by channel number only": I would ensure that is unticked too, at least for a start. If you name the channels as specified in step 4 then you shouldn't have a problem with getting the guide data linked up correctly. This option is mainly useful for people with analog cable channels.
    - "channel name format": the naming requirement in step 4 has absolutely no relationship to this setting. Do not add numbers to the channel names when you rename them - it is literally *just* the callsign that you need.
    - "force guide update on next TvService startup": I would tick this so that you get the EPG data coming in as soon as you're ready.

The other options are up to you.
    9. Restart TV Server again to trigger SD to start grabbing EPG.

If you find that you don't have guide data for any channels in MP after 10 minutes or so then please post your logs.

Log Files - MediaPortal Wiki

Follow the instructions for non-reproducible problems.

I scanned all my channels but most of them dont come up names for the channels is this something that has to be done manually or can it be done automatically?
    I think you'll find that most of the "unknown ****" ones are encrypted cable channels. You can tell that because encrypted channels should have a red icon next to them in the TV Channels section in TV Server configuration. Open/clear/free channels will have a green icon. In all likelihood you'll need to manually rename many of the free channels anyway to ensure that SD links up the guide data correctly.

Hope that helps. :)

mm

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I personally would not run comclean as that could really ruin a good recording, comskip is usually sufficient with 2\3tb hard drives so cheap nowadays.

Sadly there is only one editor capable of being used inside MP, thats VideoRedo via a plugin.

Or you might want to take a closer look at MCEBuddy which runs outside of MP, can be enabled to clean adverts and convert after a set amount of time for your recordings.

Good luck with your setup.

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    I think you'll find that most of the "unknown ****" ones are encrypted cable channels. You can tell that because encrypted channels should have a red icon next to them in the TV Channels section in TV Server configuration. Open/clear/free channels will have a green icon. In all likelihood you'll need to manually rename many of the free channels anyway to ensure that SD links up the guide data correctly.

Hope that helps. :)

mm[/QUOTE]

I have scanned I get the unknown in red and green I can watch the green is there any database website I can look the numbers up to rename the channels? Or do I just have to figure out what is playing then look at the schedule to figure out the channel?

Thanks for all you guys help so far.

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    I have also seen the unknown issue if you do not have a strong signal coming from the wall. You will end up with just a black screen and maybe some sound that cuts in and out.

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    I am right at my jack I have strong signal I am sure i just dont have the correct box checked. I streamed some from it last night and even the hd was good to my clients

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi bc0508

I have scanned I get the unknown in red and green I can watch the green is there any database website I can look the numbers up to rename the channels? Or do I just have to figure out what is playing then look at the schedule to figure out the channel?
    Unfortunately you have to figure out what is playing and look at the schedules with the help of -->this<--. There are two problems that cause this:
    1. Cable providers don't actually include the information in the stream to enable us to figure out what channels they are.
    2. There is currently a bug in MP that means that the name is sometimes ignored even if it is found.

I am right at my jack I have strong signal I am sure i just dont have the correct box checked. I streamed some from it last night and even the hd was good to my clients
    Yes, these issues with "unknown ***" channels are usually particular to cable in the US and Canada. I'm sure your signal is fine. :)

mm

bc0508

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 16, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks that is what I figured on the channels. I am coming up with one other thing I have some come up green and unknown but not assign to a card. I have assigned all the channels to the cards that I can find. Is this a bug or just maybe some channels I cant pick up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom