Just wanting an overview of features (1 Viewer)

sark666

May 16, 2010
I'm a long-time mythtv user and was looking at other pvr software. One reason why I was looking is because I wanted to be able to stream my recordings remotely.

Myth had an unofficial addon to it's web server but it had some limitations and development seemed to have longed ceased.

- no live tv
- couldn't seek ahead in a recording (only back to what you previously buffered)
- when you stopped a recording, the backend kept transcoding till finished even if you only watched say the beginning of the show.
- when it was transcoding, it always transcoded as fast as possible, maxing the cpu.
- also had issues with aspect ratios

I don't really like flash but it used an embedded flash player so it made it very accessible from whereever. You could set the resolution and the bitrate.

So how does mpwebservices fair in regards to the above? I see many mentioning vlc, and I'm not actually sure if there is a means of streaming the video right inside the web page (via flash or whatever).

Also, I assume 1 live tv viewer per tuner, but with recordings, could I be watching previously recorded material remotely while my gf does the same somewhere else? Can you play videos (xvids etc) or recordings only?

If anyone can chime in on this and maybe how it's worked for you (stability etc) that would be appreciated.

sark666

May 16, 2010
Woah hey not everyone at once!

Not being rude, but maybe I missed it and this is outlined somewhere?

if not, any info someone could provide would be much appreciated.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ok I'll try to answer a few of your questions.

MPWebServices is a set of APIs to access some functionality of MediaPortal. You can access the live tv stream directly (rtsp protocol, you can play it with vlc) or transcoded with ffmpeg, vlc or mencoder. It's currently not possible to use it with a flash or html5 based player, mainly because noone has done it yet . The author of MPWebService only released the current website as proof of concept and until now noone else made a replacement.

Other points of interest:
    • Transcoding doesn't max out the cpu iirc and I "think" you can seek ahead as well. Edit: you can't seek ahead when transcoding
    • If you have more tv tuners you can watch multiple channels simultaneously and of course you can play as many recordings/videos at the same time as you want (and your server can handle).
    • I wrote a windows tool to access the live tv part of MPWebServices.
    • I had no problems whatsoever with stability but other people do -> https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mpwebservices-463/solving-webserver-crashes-81804/

Overall imo MPWebServices is in a very early state of development so don't expect to get a fully-functional finished webserver.

Hope this answered some of your questions...

sark666

May 16, 2010
    Yes it did thank you, I'll try it out soon but that sets my expectations on current functionality.

Hopefully development is making good progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom