Justop G-PC Quad Core Windows 8.1 Mini PC (1 Viewer)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
Thanks for the pointers but still no luck with enabling .Net3.5.

Resetting win8.1 on the machine has made no difference and im still getting the same error when trying to do so (windows throws a popup that says Windows can't complete the requested changes, Error Code 0x800F0906).

Everything is factory reset and the only thing ive had to do in initial setup is create a computer name, select language (EN-US) and set up wifi connection.

Any other ideas as I'm getting a bit fed up with this crappy OS now, all I want to do is install MP!

TIA

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Are you sure that you have a working internet connection at the moment you are activating .net 3.5? What does windowsupdate.log say? If you are uncertain about the messages there, then please upload the file.

Othert Solutions for the problem include installation from a Win 8.1 installation DVD (you could mount an ISO) or manual install. See here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443(v=vs.110).aspx

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    No, an internet connection isn't the issue as im able to web browse, its just that when the installer tries to connect to windows update to download the framework it fails and throws the error i mentioned in my last post. Very strange.

I'll try one of the other installation methods in your link, thanks.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    its just that when the installer tries to connect to windows update to download the framework it fails and throws the error i mentioned in my last post.
    The .Net 3.5 initial update should contact Microsoft Update and search for the files that correspond to its original language, i.e. en-US. However, if in the meantime languages were changed, then the update contacts the site that corresponds to the set language, e.g. en-UK. The result is that the update process fails. Yes, this is real Microsoft nonsense, but maybe they never bothered to repair, given that .Net is now at 4.5.2.

What you system is really doing should be visible in Windowsupdate.log. Have a look.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    But when I reinstall win8.1 to factory settings on the Justop, the language us getting reset to en-US so there shouldn't be an issue surely?

I'll have a look at my log files in a sec.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Correct, it should. However, there are two functions. One is doing a kind of driver reset while the other is supposed to completely reset to factory. I have never done this myself, so not sure how it behaves.

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Another evening wasted. Tried creating a media installation file to reinstall win8.1 on the Justop. Created the iso file without issue but fell over when it came to entering the product key because the unit didn't come with one!

Downloaded a program which scans your registry for the windows key but it turns out the one it uses is the factory one and not the unit itself so it wasn't useable. Bottom line is I now can't install net3.5 and I can't do a clean reinstall of win8.1 to start again. Biggest bag of crap ever.

Luckily I have several other versions of win7 with keys that I can install instead. I'll create an iso for one of those instead and mount it on a USB.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hhm, I believe there is a hidden partition, which contains a recovery program. Have you checked the boot options that are displayed if you press F8 or Shift during startup?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2007
    South London
    Home Country
    England England
    Not sure. Ive given up with win8.1 though, im going to mount an iso copy of win7 that ive got and go from there. I think i'll still be able to get the free win10 upgrade from there as well as its a genuine copy.

I assume being a 64bit processor in the Justop i can install either 32 or 64 bit versions of win7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom