KNC DVB-S2 twin - has anyone got this to work with 1.2RC? (1 Viewer)

chr0non

Portal Member
September 11, 2011
Just got one of these to replace my pair of s2-3200 cards since they are flaky under win7 and support from tt seems to be non existent since their coprorate reshuffle.

I can't scan for channels with the knc card - first tp gives results then No Signal for all tps after that.

If I populate the channel list with the tt card, I can usually tune to SD channels with the knc for a short while after a reboot then it hangs (red in the manual control list) and just gives No Signal or Unknown Error messages. HD (S2) channels just never tune.

The tt card works OK except the picture breaks up annoyingly regularly (apparently a driver issue with win7 which I can believe since there haven't been any driver updates since 2009) so I guess my dish/lnbs/diseqc switches etc. are working.

Also DVBViewer is able to scan and tune both DVBS and DVBS2 channels with the KNC card so the card itself seems to be OK.

Has anyone got this card to work or should I just look for a different one?

(Logs of an attempted channel scan with the knc card are attached if they are any use)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi chr0non

The KNC DVB-S2 twin is not supported right now. I can provide you with a patch that *may* fix basic tuning, but there is certainly no guarantee of support for DiSEqC. I have the latest SDK from KNC, so we can work together to add support if you are keen. :)

mm

chr0non

Portal Member
    September 11, 2011
    Hi mm

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I'd be happy to help any way I can - just tell me what you need me to do.

chr0non

Portal Member
    September 11, 2011
    Hi again

Would it be possible to have the "patch" you mentioned to try out?

This card wasn't cheap so I am happy to put some effort into making it work rather than dumping it and trying something else.

But on that subject - are there any twin tuner, DVB-S2, PCIe cards which are known to work reasonably well with the current releases of MP.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Would it be possible to have the "patch" you mentioned to try out?
    Have you upgraded to 1.2.0 final, or are you still on the RC?

But on that subject - are there any twin tuner, DVB-S2, PCIe cards which are known to work reasonably well with the current releases of MP.
    Yes, quite a few. Digital Devices, TBS and TeVii S480 too name a few...

mm

chr0non

Portal Member
    September 11, 2011
    I'm still on the RC but can easily go to final if you prefer to test something out on that version.

Thanks for the pointers to the alternative cards. I've already tried the Tevii (they were pretty cheap here) but it was useless. It overheated and eventually burned itself out. I suppose you get what you pay for! Then I tried the KNC since it wasn't cheap and earlier posts seemed to say good things about them.

The TBS looks like reasonably priced alternative. Do you happen to know if the twin tuner version works well with MP (at least reasonable Disecq support)?

Regards
    C

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi chr0non

I'm still on the RC but can easily go to final if you prefer to test something out on that version.
    1.2.0 final would be easier for me so if you can upgrade then I'll try to provide the patch after work today (~8 hours).

I've already tried the Tevii (they were pretty cheap here) but it was useless. It overheated and eventually burned itself out.
    :(

Then I tried the KNC since it wasn't cheap and earlier posts seemed to say good things about them.
    Older KNC models have worked fine. The twin is relatively new and I've only heard reports of problems from you and one other person so far.

The TBS looks like reasonably priced alternative. Do you happen to know if the twin tuner version works well with MP (at least reasonable Disecq support)?
    The interface supports raw DiSEqC commands so DiSEqC support is as good as we make it. Some people have had problems with DiSEqC in their Q-BOX line, but not with the 698x line as far as I'm aware. Keep in mind that the CI functionality is not supported (yet ;)).

mm

chr0non

Portal Member
    September 11, 2011
    No problem. I'll upgrade to final.

I still have the impression that the KNcs are pretty good quality cards so I would like to get it working - if possible, with your help.

I quite like the idea of having 2 different cards that work though so I think I'll try a TBs-6981 in my other slot. If I have diseqc as good as with my old s2-3200 I'm probably OK for UK Freesat. I don't need CI for now - maybe later if I find a CAM that works with the TNT satellite package.

chr0non

Portal Member
    September 11, 2011
    I'm up to 1.2 final now so ready to try out your patch whenever you have the time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, let's do it then! :)
    Please follow these instructions:
    1. Stop TV Server.
    2. Take a backup of the TVLibrary.dll in your TV Server install folder.
    3. Download and extract the attached TVLibrary.dll into your TV Server install folder.
    4. Delete your TV Server logs in C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server. That is a hidden folder, so paste the path into the address bar in Windows explorer or enable viewing of hidden and system files/folders (Google).
    5. Start TV Server.
    6. Attempt to scan for channels, but please set DiSEqC to "none" for this test.
    7. Provide logs after the scan finishes (use the watchdog with option 3).

:D
    mm

Attachments

• TVLibrary[1.2.0_knc_twin].zip
      159.9 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom