Lady Acceptance Factor (2 Viewers)

pmbsa

Portal Pro
September 27, 2004
Hi, I am not sure if this is something that has been raised before (wouldnt know what to search for actually) but I have a point that has been raised by various women who now use MP within my family. (there are many and they all slap me around when MP gives them trouble! ;0)

The thing that seems to cause the most frustration for them is the lack of indication that MP is acting on a request from the remote. If for example MP is loading up an ISO DVD from the network (which can take 5+ seconds) there is nothing to indicate that its executing your request so you dont need to hit the ok button 100 more times!... basically the suggestion is that please could there be a spinning ball or egg timer type thing to indicate that MP is busy with the latest request so that they dont feel the need to randomly (and indeed repeatedly) hit buttons on the remote because they think MP has not responsed... It appears that that is the cause of most of there frustration at this point so I thought it was worth raising (i hope I have made some sense)

thanks
Paul

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    the term to search for is "WAF" ;-)

I agree that there should be a spinner at any point when you have to wait - and that's for the benefit of everyone, not just the ladies :)

jmbillings

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 9, 2008
    Ely
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I concur on this one :)

Sometimes my SO will start a record attempt on clicks-per-second when nothing seems to happen... :)

There is a "wait" thing in places - for instance when the weather screen updates. So perhaps it wouldn't be too hard to implement elsewhere such as when changing tv channel and so on...

mmg3k

Portal Member
    August 24, 2005
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Something nice would be to have two modes, the mode we have now and a "WAF mode". For example, if the TV server is not reachable, instead of having a message saying: the server [Server Name or IP] is not accessible, to have: TV service is not available at this moment, press back to go back to the previous menu.

I was thinking of that when I installed RC3 and find out that TV server RC and MP RC3 are not compatible, I would have loved to see a screen like this on the screen: http://www.thebeautyandthegeek.fr/public/mire.jpg...

Martin

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Something nice would be to have two modes, the mode we have now and a "WAF mode". For example, if the TV server is not reachable, instead of having a message saying: the server [Server Name or IP] is not accessible, to have: TV service is not available at this moment, press back to go back to the previous menu.

I was thinking of that when I installed RC3 and find out that TV server RC and MP RC3 are not compatible, I would have loved to see a screen like this on the screen: http://www.thebeautyandthegeek.fr/public/mire.jpg...

Martin

This is an excellent suggestion! I would ask that the developers think of utilizing a use case where the WAF mode is first displayed, then the current mode of displaying the error could be displayed.

mmg3k

Portal Member
    August 24, 2005
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    [/QUOTE]

This is an excellent suggestion! I would ask that the developers think of utilizing a use case where the WAF mode is first displayed, then the current mode of displaying the error could be displayed.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this could be linked to the logging level...

Martin

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Surely we could implement new messages by just making a new "translation". The language in this case is "English-WAF" :) Would that work??

mmg3k

Portal Member
    August 24, 2005
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Nice idea, I was more thinking like an image being diplayed like when they have a problem on TV showing a fish bowl and a goldfish in and a clock and a message saying: We appologize for this disruption in our programs... and some music like in elevators....

Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom