Laptop LCD screen as monitor (1 Viewer)

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
i'm considering using a old broken laptop and taking apart the LCD screen and say placing it in the kitchen at some point so when the new version of MP comes out with the server / client option i might be able to run a small box in the kitchen with this screen, anyone ever tried converting a laptop LCD into a monitor screen?
Thanks

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
i'm hoping it will work, might be more complicated than i thought with the power and also the wires that laptops have, o well i will give it a crack and if it works i will tell everyone how i did it

hakuna

Portal Pro
October 15, 2004
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
There is a bunch of info about this on the web. The conclusion seems to be it's not possible, since the driver (physical) of the screen is not compatible with any output of the graphics card.

Solly to disappoint you, I have also had this thought... But make a search, perhaps someone has come up with a solution, I think it was a year ago I checked.

/Niclas

tkortell

Portal Pro
April 13, 2005
Vaasa / Sulva
Home Country
Finland Finland
Yepp hakuna is right about this, almost. It is possible but it is not worth it. You need some kind of converter to make the LCD display from a laptop to understand the picture format from a normal computer. This converter is quite expensive so it's just not worth it.

I had a old IBM laptop myself and planned to take the display out of it but I gave up.

Regards / Tomas

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
I had a old IBM laptop myself and planned to take the display out of it but I gave up.

I tried it with an old notebook too and gave up. But it is no problem with an old or cheap tft display. Have a look at this post from zombiepig. Looks very nice.

tkortell

Portal Pro
April 13, 2005
Vaasa / Sulva
Home Country
Finland Finland
I tried it with an old notebook too and gave up. But it is no problem with an old or cheap tft display. Have a look at this post from zombiepig. Looks very nice.

I have been on the lookout for a old tft or LCD, something betwin 7" and 15" but they are still a bit to expencive.

R / tk

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
hmm thanks guys, sounds like i should just keep and eye out for a 17" lcd that is cracked frame or something , but have a screen in tacked
thanks for saving me the time of trying hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom