[Pending] Late dynamic refreshrate changer or fps detection without mediainfo (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Late dynamic refreshrate changer or fps detection without mediainfo

OK i'll try to make my code better. Some questions before i can start:
    1.) i wasn't able to find something like IsGraphReady or another way to determine if the graph is started and playing? Can someone help with an idea?

I think there is no such available. And adding such should be done as a callback.

2.) should i put a try and catch around the whole stuff in the thread functions? Or only while calling external stuff?

It is safer to put whole thread function inside a "try". In future if someone adds new code he/she might forgot the "try" for the new code.

What happens if the 1st detection is 24.000Hz and the 2nd 23.976Hz? Wont we end up in the wrong refresh rate? Also I would prefer that dshowhelper side would be able to provide more exact estimates / guesses about the fps since the code on C# side is really ugly
    What is the problem here? Are there tv's which can display 24.000Hz and 23.976Hz? I thought all TVs can only display 24hz - so the nearest one would be 24hz and 25hz and i check for a difference smaller than 0.1.

TV's usually handle both 23.976 and 24. Those both are required since for example Blu-rays can be having both fps. 29.97 and 30 is next such pair that would fail :) Why limit the 1 Hz as difference? (Math.Abs(fps - newfps) > 1 <-- does such, not wth 0.1). Basicly you would be making an assumption that if the 1st and 2nd queries produce close enough match the 1st one was correct (while it can be as much wrong as with greater than 1 hz difference). Just remove the 1 Hz check and the result are better :)

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Late dynamic refreshrate changer or fps detection without mediainfo

Hi guys I won't be able to finish this patch in the next weeks / month as my first child was born yesterday. So perhaps someone can catch my idea and finish this. Or just wait until i've some spare time again.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: Late dynamic refreshrate changer or fps detection without mediainfo

Hi guys I won't be able to finish this patch in the next weeks / month as my first child was born yesterday. So perhaps someone can catch my idea and finish this. Or just wait until i've some spare time again.

Congratulations and best wishes ! - hope everyone is doing well :)

Tony

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yey,.... congratulations!! :) Hope all is well with baby and mother. And hope you survived the first month... a little.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, i have tested the patch, do you have any news about code change suggestion ? :)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sure they can. Actually they just show 24fps in the OSD. But in fact they can handle 23.976fps and 24fps. For marketing reasons they just talk about 24fps support.

You can see this by getting the actual HDMI information back from the display that shows detailed information about the screen setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom