LAV Filter 'inactive' (1 Viewer)

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    For quite a long time i'm using LAV for all my codecs (in MePo), i've set the DXVA to DXVA2 Native. I've had this setting for ages and don't really have any problems with it.

Just now i've noticed the LAV codec pane saying 'Active Decoder' set to 'inactive'. This is always this way.

WHen i'm playing HD television
    When i'm playing SD television
    When i'm playing a MKV or Bluray file 1080p

Just always.

I'm using LAV 0.58.2 and have a Asrock Vision3D 137B, this has an nVidia Geforce 425m GT videocard and a Intel i3 dual core (with HT).

When i'm running a 1080p movie, the CPU runs at ~15% load and on GPU ~45%.
    This must mean DXVA is doing something, right?!

Don't know if this is wrong, but just dont know what 'inactive' means. If i'm searching the internet everybody says it should be 'active'.
    Have tried a different version of LAV but it does the same thing.

So, should it say 'active', or is there something wrong and is infact the DXVA 'inactive'.?!

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I may be wrong, but I thought you have to use Nvidia Cuvid for Nvidia cards and DXVA is for AMD?

Some more info here:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...3_Plugins/LAV_Filters/LAV_Video_Configuration
    As i understand there is a difference between the DXVA for ATI and nVidia, but both do or are named DXVA. nVidia has it's own CUDA and intel has it's own Quickthingy. The nVidia is a 'copy-back' type of DXVA.

Both the copyback and cuda of nvidia copy back the images to RAM so the image's can be altered (post-processing), but i don't want to do this.

I've got the lowest CPU + GPU load when using DXVA2 Native.. but still, the LAV decoder says 'inactive'.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ah, okay. Sounds like you know more than me about this, hopefully someone else will be able to help!

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    The nVidia is a 'copy-back' type of DXVA.
    wrong.
    both DXVA native and CB are available for AMD, nvidia and intel. the difference is that DXVA CB allows post-processing because in CB mode all frames are copied back to RAM before sending them further to renderer.
    CUDA is similar to CB, but uses nvidia's special commands for video processing (that also uses Video decoding cores, but in some different way as DXVA), so only available for nvidia only.

and concerning your question:
    you should check active decoding engine for that LAV instance that is used by MP. The only way i found is to enable tray icons for LAV and use them for checking active status while MP plays something.

Last edited:

mhoogenbosch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    and concerning your question:
    you should check active decoding engine for that LAV instance that is used by MP. The only way i found is to enable tray icons for LAV and use them for checking active status while MP plays something.
    Ah right, so it could be 'inactive' for 'this' instance... i'll defentely check that.

Concerning your message above, that's exactly what i mean :)

---

Edit:

Yes, that did the trick, now it says: dxva2n

Tnx for your help!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom