Codecs LAVF codecs Vs alternatives - whats the difference? (1 Viewer)

Sohail Juna

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hey y'all,

I came across CoreAVC http://corecodec.com/products/coreavc

This got me wondering - money aside:

Can other codecs (free / paid for) provide better TV (DVB) and video (H264) outputs compared to our trusty LAVF codecs?

I have seen some posts here around extracting and using the PowerDVD codec - are there any circumstances where this yields significant improvements?

I am looking at this from the perspective of money no object (it is, but lets suspend that) and users having either embedded or dedicated graphics.

Thoughts?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you are using DXVA2 hardware acceleration - the GPU is doing all/most of the work, so in terms of quality you should be comparing AMD vs nVidia vs Intel decoding/deinterlacing quality.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    LAV should be fine for all situations. I would recommend people try other h264 codecs if they don't have hardware acceleration on the video card. Historically CoreAVC was what was recommended for users who had crappy hardware as it used to be the least cpu intensive h264 codec for users who couldn't use dxva/cuda. (It wasn't recommended because it had higher quality). Not sure if it is still the least cpu intensive. If money was no object then I would add a HD7750 to your system.

The main difference in quality is with deinterlacing, however most sources (apart from some DVB-T channels) are not interlaced. I believe the best commonly available de-interlacing method is vector adaptive. I think a more important step to achieving higher quality playback is to ensure, vertical sync is on (no tearing) source fps + refresh hz matching is correct, and colour is calibrated without any colour clipping. All explained in further detail in my sig.

I am not sure which h264 codec gives the best quality, but I think that differences would be way less that the factors listed above. The other main difference is the source, eg. if you are downloading movies go for the 20+ gb rips.

zpower

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Hi

i´ve a Nvidia GT610 and i use LAV with Hardware decoder.
    What are the benefits if i active the settings in the image bellow?

Untitled.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom