Ongoing LCO3V + Athlon64 (1 Viewer)

RudyG

Portal Member
July 24, 2005
Hi all,

I've built my HTPC using a LC03V but the two fans on the back are too loud. The only fans other than the case fans are the Athlon64 CPU Fan and the PS Fan. (Video/MB etc are fanless).

For those using this case what experiences have you had with not using one of both the rear fans?

-Greg.

MrMad

Portal Pro
May 18, 2005
Göteborg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have connected the two fans in serial (making them run at half speed). I still thought they made too much noice so I have also lowered the voltage to them.

LastMar

Portal Pro
November 17, 2004
MrMad said:
I have connected the two fans in serial (making them run at half speed). I still thought they made too much noice so I have also lowered the voltage to them.

I'm surprised they start reliably, I mean, you're starting at 12V, two in series knocks it down to 6V, and you lowered the voltage more than that?

That said, my 120mm case fan is running off the 5V rail...

robertg

July 26, 2005
Perth, W.Australia
I've just taken delivery of the LC03V, and am also disappointed with the noice from the two rear fans :cry: .

Could the problem be the fans themselves - I'm wondering if changing the fans to a different brand might help.

MrMad

Portal Pro
May 18, 2005
Göteborg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
LastMar said:
I'm surprised they start reliably, I mean, you're starting at 12V, two in series knocks it down to 6V, and you lowered the voltage more than that?

Well, at 12V they were like two jets that could almost move the case forward ;)
Even at the lower voltage they are moving some air, and the noice is lower than my PSU fan, so I haven't considered buying better fans.

robertg said:
Could the problem be the fans themselves - I'm wondering if changing the fans to a different brand might help.

You can probably find better fans, but 60mm fans always make some noice (if they are going to move some air).

RudyG

Portal Member
July 24, 2005
I'm considering simply not using them. I mean my regular desktop PC makes do with a CPU and PSU fan only and I haven't found any issues with it overheating.

The LC03V is not exactly a "compact case".

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I have an Accent 100 case with similar dimensions to the LC03V.

I am using CPU heatsink fan only ( a Zalman CNPS7000 @ 5V). PSU is antec fanless. With an Intel P4 1.8, max temp is about 42C. Almost zero noise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom