Let the user change the RTSP port (1 Viewer)

IvanP.

August 21, 2008
I am unable to make RTSP work with tvengine server installed in a virtual machine running XP as a guest on a linux (Ubuntu 8.04) host. It took much time to try virtualbox and vmware, and it seems that all ports can be accessed (database, tv server) except RTSP, which port number (554) is < 1024.
It seems that under linux, only root can access IP ports under 1024.

I bet that it would work if mediaportal could stream to a user-chosen port (that would have to be the same on client and server sides, of course), let's say 4554 for it to be a palindrom :D

Thanks in advance, I don't want to have a 2nd server running 24/7 even for media portal. Virtualization seems the way to follow.

Ivan.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    That's odd. I run TVE under Xen, and it can connect to RTSP no problem. Just run your virtual guest as root and see if it works.

IvanP.

August 21, 2008
    Thank you for your reply. I very must appreciate as I've being fighting for weeks now to get this work.

I've just tried what you sugfgest (indeed, I thought I should try that, but I was afraid of any security problem that could arise by running a guest windows as root... ). It works better, I don't have any complain from MP client about port 554, but I still get no picture (whereas network connection is obviously busy on server side and netstat shows that client is properly connected).

Can you tell me more about your config ? Especially:
    1. Do you use linux as guest OS ?
    2. Do you run Xen as root ?
    3. Do you use a bridge network interface in Xen or NAT ?
    4. Does Xen let you "mount" USB devices into the guest OS as VirtualBox and VMWare do ?

Thanks for the information,

Ivan.

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank you for your reply. I very must appreciate as I've being fighting for weeks now to get this work.

I've just tried what you sugfgest (indeed, I thought I should try that, but I was afraid of any security problem that could arise by running a guest windows as root... ). It works better, I don't have any complain from MP client about port 554, but I still get no picture (whereas network connection is obviously busy on server side and netstat shows that client is properly connected).

Can you tell me more about your config ? Especially:
    1. Do you use linux as guest OS ?
    2. Do you run Xen as root ?
    3. Do you use a bridge network interface in Xen or NAT ?
    4. Does Xen let you "mount" USB devices into the guest OS as VirtualBox and VMWare do ?

Thanks for the information,

Ivan.

1. linux is the host
    2. xen must be run as root, it's not an application it's a kernel modification that turns the host into a Hypervisor
    3. bridged, you can't use NAT and expect clients to connect to a guest host (unless you setup NAT rules inbound)
    4. I believe so.

I'm pretty sure you problem has nothing to do with root or tcp port 554. Did you try using VLC to connect when manually timeshifting? You should also try running tcpdump on the host and filter for tcp port 554.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom