[NVIDIA] Let's talk about nVidia drivers in a 2D perspective... (1 Viewer)

peque

Moderator - Spanish Forums
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi all,

It's quite easy to find forums to talk about nVidia drivers performance with the last 3D games, but it's not so easy to find info about 2D performance in such drivers.

I would like this thread to be somewhere to talk about our experiences regarding nVidia drivers in a 2D perspective, so we are "aware" before upgrading, and how can we be affeted in our daily use of MediaPortal with them. I've found myself losing deinterlace capabilites, or render my system unstable when using refresh rate changer, after a driver update.

Me, as many others here, has been noticing that 2D performance has been going down from 25x.xx to last available 306.97... That's why some of you mess with Tesla drivers to get them installed in "non" compatible nVidia cards, which seem to be better 2D/3D performance balance. You can find some more info here. Thanks Owlsroost.

My personal experience, regarding framedrops in 1080i HDTV, which IMHO it's the most difficult test for a video card, says that any driver above 27x.xx performs worse in every new release. I was using Tesla 276.42 modified to be compatible with my nVidia GT240. I had some BSOD, nothing really bad. Now I've upgraded to a nVidia GT630, hoping for less framedrops... but my results are more or less the same, at least using last 306.97 drivers... I still must test Tesla drivers with it (if that's possible, I'll see).

Please, feel free to comment any other point of view. :)

bye!

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was using Tesla 276.42 modified to be compatible with my nVidia GT240. I had some BSOD, nothing really bad.

BSOD, how bad do you want it to get after that ;)

I have given up trying any newer drivers with my gt220 sonic as every single one makes my system unstable in one way or another, think that may well be down to the Palit bios settings onboard the card, certainly would avoid that make or any factory overclocked card in the future.

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    When I say "nothing really bad", I mean I've got sporadical BSODs (1 every some weeks)... :)

Yesterday evening I watched a entire football match and I got less framedrops with my new GT630 + 306.97 than before, with my GT 240 + Tesla 276.42... Now I must see stability. We'll see.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just updated to Quadro/Tesla 307.74 (Vista 32 bit + GT 430) and they seem to be OK so far - maybe a bit better on frame drops (with 1080i video) but it's early days yet....

I've not tried any of the 310.xx series or later, so can't comment if they are better or worse.

Tony

peque

• Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2007
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thanks for the feedback.

BTW: MP 1.3.0beta + MPAR 2 + LAV Filters is a framedrop killer combination. I get no more than 1 framedrop every 100k frames in 1080i with a not so high level card (nVidia GT240).

Bye

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom