[Usability] Limit info button; add more Menu button functions (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    On my Remote I have 2 buttons. Info and Menu. There are equivalent keys on the keyboard. The Info button seems to be a catch-all, displaying info on media playing (e.g., Live TV) as well as for displaying a menu of actions. The Menu button seems to be reserved for only currently playing DVD-Menu functions. When I do not have a DVD inserted it asks for one.

Most Sat and Cable services provide remotes. On these, the Info and Menu buttons have distinctly different functions. The Info button displays only info about a selected item or playing media. The Menu button displays a menu of actions.

I would like to see the Menu button be given more responsibility, and be used to display the menus currently ascribed to the Info button when NOT playing a DVD. It would also step trough multiple menus if required by certain conditions, or just exit the Menu. When playing a DVD an option menu could display, with an entry to go to the DVD Menu, rather than jumping immediately to it.

The Info button would just display info screens, if there are any conditions that need adjustment, they might be also accessed from the Info screen displayed by the navigation keys (e.g., functions found on the expanded LiveTV Info screen).

I hope you might consider this as an improvement on the usability of MP operations.

Chuck

Quarter

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 21, 2010
    Queenstown
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    On my Remote I have 2 buttons. Info and Menu. There are equivalent keys on the keyboard. The Info button seems to be a catch-all, displaying info on media playing (e.g., Live TV) as well as for displaying a menu of actions. The Menu button seems to be reserved for only currently playing DVD-Menu functions. When I do not have a DVD inserted it asks for one.

Most Sat and Cable services provide remotes. On these, the Info and Menu buttons have distinctly different functions. The Info button displays only info about a selected item or playing media. The Menu button displays a menu of actions.

I would like to see the Menu button be given more responsibility, and be used to display the menus currently ascribed to the Info button when NOT playing a DVD. It would also step trough multiple menus if required by certain conditions, or just exit the Menu. When playing a DVD an option menu could display, with an entry to go to the DVD Menu, rather than jumping immediately to it.

The Info button would just display info screens, if there are any conditions that need adjustment, they might be also accessed from the Info screen displayed by the navigation keys (e.g., functions found on the expanded LiveTV Info screen).

I hope you might consider this as an improvement on the usability of MP operations.

Chuck

yes please I vote for this too
    :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom