Links Opening in a New Window (1 Viewer)

N

nirvdrum

Please stop having links open in a new window on the Web site. I go to mediaportal.sf.net because it's easy to remember. From there, I'll click on the link to the forums and this will cause another window to open up with the forum. There really isn't much of a need for this. I have no intention of using that original window for much of anything else, and even if I did, I could use my "back" button. So, please, stop opening links in a new window :)

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Out of over 10,000 users, you are the first to complain about this. Forums are sort of like a repository of informaion. If someone links to somewhere, it's usually a reference to something talked about during a discussion. I have no plans of not letting anyone use the new window option. Don't like it? call the guys who designed the www.

N

nirvdrum

I really wouldn't gauge things by the number of people that don't complain. Most just probably move along and don't come back. I'd like to see MediaPortal succeed, but the main Web page has a few usability issues.

I think we're talking about two totally different things though. I'm not saying links within the forum, I'm saying the link to the form from the main page. Actually, this isn't even consistent on the main page. If I click on "Forums" in the "Information" box, it loads in the current window. If I click on forums from the massive "Site Navigation" menu, it opens in a new window. The former behavior I think is the way it should work. I'll ask Tim Berners-Lee how he really expected linked documents to work though.

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    ah ok. misunderstanding then my bad. Let me know what he has to say though :)

Oh and also ask him if he uses windows, linux or mac.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    mzemina said:
    I do NOT agree. I like it just as it is.

Mike

Same here. On the MP home page I usually click on all the threads listed in the "recent" list and then work my way through them. I really wouldn't like it if things didn't work this way.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    nirvdrum said:
    I think we're talking about two totally different things though. I'm not saying links within the forum, I'm saying the link to the form from the main page.

Sorry, I also misunderstood your post...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom