Lip sync (1 Viewer)

aureliusm

Portal Member
January 4, 2008
Just to add my grain of salt to this discussion...

Problem with audio timing was driving me nuts couple of weeks ago.
It is not limited only to DVB sources but also to video files with AC3 or DTS audio.

I am using ffdaudio as audio decoder - but the problem was present with other audio decoders also,
but only when I was trying to pass the AC3 or DTS directly to my amplifier over S/PDIF.
When I leave the processing to libdts or liba52 and then send the output over S/PDIF everything works fine.

This whole thing had one more side-effect - video was running normally for a while and then you would see
for a fraction of a second video accelerating 'to catch up' and then it would run again fine for a couple of seconds - until next jump.

This problem was present in windows media player also, not just in MediaPortal.
Anyway - I stopped passing AC3 and DTS directly, but I would be really interested to know the cause...

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
unfortunately i'm also affectd by this problem. I have the standard MP Client TV Engine with DVB-C / Floppy DTV running here. i can also confirn, that some germany channels are really bad on that!

Anyway did somebody try to eliminate this issue by using reclock?

I'm not sure if reclock runs well with MP or is able to solve that.

regards.

Already checked that before. It works well with MP (related to DVD playback) however not to good with TVServer.

xuxo

Portal Member
February 6, 2008
grubi:

did you resolve your lip sync issues (tv) with reclock?

i'm currently not unsing the tvserver anymore.
So it should work fine with MP client only.

i would like to try that. But i also would like do this only
if there is any chance to solve the tv lip sync issue.

regards.

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
grubi:

did you resolve your lip sync issues (tv) with reclock?

i'm currently not unsing the tvserver anymore.
So it should work fine with MP client only.

i would like to try that. But i also would like do this only
if there is any chance to solve the tv lip sync issue.

regards.

I was able to noticably reduce the problem with reclock and the built in TVEngine but not with TVServer.
However be prepared that zapping speed will decrease.

HTH.
grubi.

xuxo

Portal Member
February 6, 2008
danke grubi, ich werds versuchen.

anyway zapping speed is not that important, since i explained to my wife to use the EPG view. ;)

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    To add my tiny grain of salt. I used to have major lip sync issues as well when watching HD TV, but this was due to the fact my computer had to work very hard because of the bad signal I was feeding it with.. when I replaced my COAX cable and installed a signal amplifier, all lip sync problems were gone.

Lip sync problems were very bad when I tried the CoreAVC codec, with Cyberlink codec it was not as bad and still bearable. I also had the "catch-up"effect one of the previous posters was talking about.

Another thing that seemed to help was switching off hardware accelleration for H264, my on board graphics card is not that good it can handle a high bitrate Video smoothly.

Hope this helps :)

Lots

Terriff

Portal Pro
    March 28, 2008
    I'm having audio sync issues with AC3 running through SPDIF as well. I'm using NVidia PureVideo Audio codec and Default Audio Renderer.

I also have the same delay when playing the .ts file in VLC or GOM player, which makes me think that the TS stream writer is writing out whatever AC3 audio delay is being used in the broadcast.

I can adjust the lip sync delay when using NVidia's audio codec. 200ms seems to correct the issue perfectly. However, it would be nice for MP to either adjust automatically (not sure if there is audio delay info in the stream, but that would be ideal) or have an audio delay setting that users can adjust while playing the video (like XBMC does).

Thanks!

TV-Server Version: TVEngine3 1.0.0.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Version: MediaPortal 1.0.0.0 RC1
    MediaPortal Skin: Bluetwo wide
    Windows Version: Windows XP Pro SP2 - hotfixes from RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack 2.2.1, March 2, 2008
    CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 - 2.33GHz
    HDD: Hitachi - 500GB Deskstar T7K500 SATA II
    Memory: Patriot - Extreme Performance DDR2 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2-6400
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-73PVM-S2H w/ Geforce 7100
    Video Card: XFX 8500GT 256MB (nVidia)
    Video Card Driver: nVidia 6.14.11.6932 (Date: 2008.01.09)
    Sound Card: Realtek ALC889A codec
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5591 (Date: 2008.03.26)
    1. TV Card: TechnoTrend S2-3200 Budget
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
    1. TV Card Driver: TechnoTrend BDA 4.4.10.18
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: NVidia PureVideo, Cyberlink PowerDVD 7, ffdshow_beta4a_rev1723_20071224_clsid.exe
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: NVidia PureVideo, Cyberlink PowerDVD 7, ffdshow_beta4a_rev1723_20071224_clsid.exe
    h.264 Video Codec:
    Satelite/CableTV Provider: Nimiq 2 82°W, Nimiq 1 91°W
    HTPC Case: ANTEC - VERIS Fusion Black 430
    Cooling: 2 x 120mm case fans, stock Intel Core2Duo fan
    Power Supply: 430W provided with case
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 688 (programmed as MS MCE remote and TechnoTrend S2-3200)
    TV: Sharp Aquos 45" LCD
    TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-dual link to HDMI

el_gato

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    However, it would be nice for MP to either adjust automatically (not sure if there is audio delay info in the stream, but that would be ideal) or have an audio delay setting that users can adjust while playing the video (like XBMC does).

i agree, it would be handy if there would be an option like that. i have sync issues with several recordings, more or less "big gaps"...

GiuseppeC

Portal Pro
    September 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I have a high latency ("PCI"-latency, or more correctly IRQ-latency) due to my PVR-350 (I believe). Found this using a latency monitor tool, and I believe that this might cause this, as well as many other things.

Which latency monitor are you using ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom