Living in Denmark, going digital (1 Viewer)

mfalk

Portal Pro
July 10, 2006
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi All

By the end of this year denmark will switch to digital TV. I have to do something, since i only have an Terrestial Antenna, however i'm having difficulties actually figuring out what to do.

My options are:
1. get some fiber, and receive TV in that way.
2. Keep the Terristal Antenna and get TV by Boxer TV - Digital TV fra antenne (I am most keen on this solution)
3. Get a satelite dish

Generally speaking we do not think we need a bunch of channels (Currently we only have 3 and that works fine), so i prefer a cheaper solution to a many channels solution.

What i want to do, is:
Having my TV server in the basement, and then have some kind of MiniPC in the Living Room, Bedroom, and two childrens room

We should be able to see/record at least 2 different channels at the time.

Right now the TV server is in the basement and is transmitting the signal through the Antenny cable with the use of a Modulator, however i prefer to switch to the MiniPC and WLAN to get better signal.

Naturally i prefer a TV Card in my computer where i can stuff in some Card to decrypt the channels. I will prefer not to have a load of boxes (Digital Tuners, Weird Fiber boxes with crappy UI and the like)

So i guess my questions are: Fellow dane what are you doing in my situation? What do you see as the pro and cons?

br
Michael

OleDK

Portal Pro
February 1, 2006
Denmark
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
My experience

Hi mfalk,

I assume the three channels you are satisfied with are DR1, DR2, and TV2. They are also transmitted digitally via air (for free). So you should be able to use your existing antenna to recieve also the digital channels (see Digi TV for further details). I am using a small indoor antenna, as I do not have an outside antenna on my house. You can buy them for 200-300 DKK.

Then you need 1 TV-tuner card that accepts DVB-T, and make sure it also is compatible with mpeg-4, as new channels will be in mpeg-4, and not mpeg-2. Although the above mentioned channels will continue in mpeg-2 until 2012. Boxer is also mpeg-4.

As the three channels are on the same transponder (frequency) you can actually watch one and record another with only one tuner-card (works for me). I have not tried to record two shows and watch one at the same time. You might run out of CPU-power.

I have had this running for 2-3 years.

tompa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 3, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi!

- Yes, go for Boxer, a very trouble free solution.
    - Get at least two TV cards (but check channel planning for your transponders). The TV-server can use all channels on one TV-card at the time if they are on the same transponder/MUX. This does not normally create any high CPU load on the server.
    - Keep the TV-server as close to the antenna as possible (gives less "feeder problem" to cards).
    - Distribute via LAN cable if you are looking for quality. Maybe ok with 54Mbit WLAN??

/tompa

mfalk

Portal Pro
    July 10, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thanks for your answers. Do you know of any tv cards that can be used with the boxer Cards?

How do you know if your tv card supports MPEG 4 (I'm currently using HVR-1300)

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    For DR1, DR2, and TV2 and I guess for the upcoming other DR channels you don't need boxer decrypting cards.

For they pay channels you need for example a FireDTV T.
    Alternatives include this one where you also need a CI module (which is included in the firedtv/floppydtv).

For both the mystique and the firedtv you will need a Viaccess CAM and the boxer decryption card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom