[solved] Local DB (1 Viewer)

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
December 28, 2011
Hi, I was hoping that I could get some advice on my local development setup.

I am at the point where my development box has the MP prerequisites installed and the source compiling (isn't nuget a wonderful thing?)....

I also have MP 1.6 running on my HTPC - which only gets official releases installed. I'm reticent to install MP on my dev box and I tend to keep my dev boxes and "thin" as possible and I don't want to install a tv card / usb tv key to get listing into the database.

I wondered then if I would be able to copy the mysql db from my HTPC and stick it on my dev box. What would I need to configure in MP to allow the source to use the database (seeing as I haven't run the installer??).

Or am I being a pussy and I should just install MP on the dev box and be done with it? Is there anywhere I can look up what gets done on installation (apart from running the prerequisite installers)?

Thanks for any help...

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

I am a little(?) confused if you want to work on the tvserver part or not. If you want to work on tvserver or a plugin to run on tvserver, I suggest to you install a full MePo on your dev machine (is it a virtual machine?).

You will have a separeted environment to test and dev in this setup.

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    Thanks for the response. I guess I wasn't being clear. I'm going to write a WindowPlugin, so no, I won't be necessarily working on the TVServer.

What I'm asking is, now that I have cloned the repo to my local machine, how do get a functional working version of MP running on my dev box? I'm mostly concerned with the database - how do I get it installed locally?

I can run the 1.6.0 installer, but that will give me a 1.6.0 database, where presumably the repo holds 1.7.0 + code, which will not necessarily work with the 1.6.0 database I have created using the 1.6.0 installer.

Put it another way - how do developers update their dev boxes when changes to schema / prerequisites get checked in by other developers. Or, when a developer has not worked on MP for a while how do they ensure their dev box is good to start dev again?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Alex

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    ? I'm mostly concerned with the database - how do I get it installed locally?

What kind of database? The my video/music/pictures db are sqlite database. You may just copy those files to you dev box.

I can run the 1.6.0 installer, but that will give me a 1.6.0 database, where presumably the repo holds 1.7.0 + code, which will not necessarily work with the 1.6.0 database I have created using the 1.6.0 installer.

There were not any changes in the database scheme since 1.6.

The prerequisites changes rarely. The source code is change almost every week. You may have to sync your local barch with our master branch sometime.

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    What kind of database? The my video/music/pictures db are sqlite database. You may just copy those files to you dev box.

I was referring to the mySQL or MSSQL database that is created when you install MP? As it stands, currently due to not running the installer on my dev box - I don't have any database created. How do I get this created and config my dev build of MP for running and debugging.

I plan to query the programs and schedules for movies being shown - so I guess if this information is stored in the MySQL / MSSQL database.

Maybe this would be a better question - If you were to reinstall your dev box, what would you do to get back to developing MP?

Apologies if what I'm asking sounds stupid - but the following link only describes getting the source onto a dev box - not what you need to do get MP configured, up and running and debugging: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._Development/Building_MediaPortal_from_source.[DOUBLEPOST=1394573325][/DOUBLEPOST]So, I've built the source, started the MediaPortal.exe in debug - and then configuration gets launched....

I then get an exception "No available language found". So obviously some configuration that is generated during install is missing.

Last edited:

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I was referring to the mySQL or MSSQL database that is created when you install MP?

The my sql needs for tvserver... you said you don't need the tvserver.

When you install the full MePo on dev machine, the installer will create all database/tables. You need to run configure.exe and setuptv to set up everything and then you will be able to run the mediaportal.exe.

ChubbyArse

Portal Member
    December 28, 2011
    The my sql needs for tvserver... you said you don't need the tvserver.

I didn't know I needed the TVServer - being new to the MP codebase, I wasn't to know that listings and schedules are managed by the TV server.

I suspected that I would ultimately install on my dev box to fully configure. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom