[Rejected] Log Media Anonymization/Masking (1 Viewer)

Terra

Portal Pro
August 25, 2009
Home Country
Austria Austria
A suggestion to add a media masking/anonymization option in MP2 for all the logs.
So that the logs do not show the actual media folders and names of the files but rather write masked/anonymous lines in the log files

e.g. write
[DEBUG] - MediaAccessor: Importing file 'A***************************************.srt'
instead of the actual file names

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is something that we need to refuse. Many importer problems were traced back to media files not following the predefined MP2 requirements. Without such info it is not possible to analyze issues.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can understand that people may be concerned about their privacy. However, anybody curious would need to really dig very deeply into logs and then establish connections to a particular user (who normally is completely anonmyous).

I mean who is "Terra", what can I learn about him/her and what do I do with that information. Nothing we are interested in. In the end it is everybody's personal choice to what extent he/she is willing to disclose information. However, please be aware that error analysis relies on as much information as possible. From a support perspective I simply don't want to 'negotiate' additional information every time it would be required to better understand the problem.

Terra

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2009
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I mean who is "Terra", what can I learn about him/her and what do I do with that information. Nothing we are interested in.
    I understand that debugging is easier with clear logs and I am not worried about the MP2 staff, however in the end this is a public forum and everybody can download the logs that are attached to posts so this should be kept in mind. Maybe a place to share logs with only the dev's would be also feasible?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    however in the end this is a public forum and everybody can download the logs that are attached to posts so this should be kept in mind.
    It is the main concept of a public forum that everybody helps everybody. Eliminating the attachments for the general public is not a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom