Log why MP gets started/waked up (1 Viewer)

chrisonline

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2007
    Tirol/Wörgl
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    It seems the problem is fixed. Thanks for the great help!!

For all those who have the same problem here the solution:
    In the device manager check your network card settings.
    The important settings are "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on pattern match".

The setting "Wake on pattern match" have to be of because every "Ping" or simple folder access from another PC wakes up the PC.

Attached there is a screenshot of the setting on a Realtek Device.

Attachments

• 2013-03-27 14_38_51-pchtpc - TightVNC Viewer.png
      2013-03-27 14_38_51-pchtpc - TightVNC Viewer.png
      47.5 KB
    Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    This would be great information to add to the wiki, especially as this setting seems to be enabled as default (checked mine and it was).

@TheBatfink please let us know if that resolves your problems, just as a form of confirmation, thanks.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I have had the issue for a while where it wouldn't sleep or when it did it would wake up 15 minutes later, sometimes later. Rarely did it stay asleep (I have a server which monitors uptime of the networked machines).

I disabled this value and the first time it slept, it stayed there for over an hour :) so only one test so far but it looks promising. Will see when its left over night and how it works over the coming days. I also did some googling and came across this which details the same thing here. I'm also wondering why I never tried to test with the network cable unplugged and just concentrated on services running on the problem machine.
    My Intel NUC is also doing the whole sleep wake sleep wake thing sometimes too, think I'll see if that adapter has the setting but that's an intel nic I believe (but which has suddenly started behaving the last day or too which doesn't help finding the issue).

I would like to try and get to the bottom of what was being sent that was waking the machine and where it was coming from though. I have a laptop which is usually off, a second PC which is also usually off, a MePo client and a WHS2011 server with lightsout installed (which has the uptime monitor). I'm wondering if that monitor was pinging the machine to see what it was doing and causing it to wake when asleep.

But thanks again for the idea @chrisonline really hope it works long term :)

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    looks like Batfink is running Win7, so he can try using Win7 Event Viewer to see what is waking his system. You need use

Control Panel > System and Security, Under Admin Tools click on Open Event Logs
    On left side select Windows Logs > System
    On right hand side, click on Filter Current Log, in that window select Event Sources and Enable "Power-Troubleshooter"

this will show wakeup events, on my Win7 system I see things like the following

The system has resumed from sleep.
    Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎28T15:50:12.645489800Z, Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎28T16:06:32.777015900Z
    Wake Source: Timer - Task Scheduler will execute '\EPG Collector' task.

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎28T15:14:43.804365000Z, Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎28T15:25:14.071776300Z
    Wake Source: Device -Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Sleep Time: ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎26T15:47:06.941379100Z, Wake Time: ‎2013‎-‎03‎-‎26T15:47:31.936025000Z
    Wake Source: Device -USB Root Hub

I also see a few cases with "Wake Source: Unknown", where Win7 does not have info on wake soruce

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hi, good tip for debugging. I had looked at that a little while ago before I lost the patience to troubleshoot it, in all instances that it woke (and it wasn't me waking it) the event source was unknown. It was at that point I just gave up while my hair was intact! - so if it wasn't this dodgy NIC wake up.. I may cry.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    one quick test is unplug ethernet cable and all USB mouse/keyboards. If the system has a "unknown" wakeup, you know what is NOT causing it.

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Well my machine is definitely behaving itself now! One more issue off the snagging list ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom