Looking at a tablet for the GF.... any advice?? (1 Viewer)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a tablet for the GF this Xmas (I'm also getting her a wooden leg, but that is just a stocking filler ;)) ; her current laptop is a bit unwieldy and the battery on it does need replacing. All she does is surf the 'net, use eBay and email stuff.

Now, there seem to be so many to choose from. I'm a "Anything But Apple" sort of person, so that narrows it down a bit.

It would be great if MP could be accessed from it too, or at least if it could stream from the media server.

7" or 10" screen - does this make a huge difference??

Some pointers would be good, or even user experience.

Thanks.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Size is key...
    If you want 7" then the Google nexus 7 is great value. This us a great size for games and most web browsing but it is still more phone than laptop. 10" is better for doing anything like editing documents and can be better for some websites. This however makes it far less portable and much harder to use one handed.

I have an old Samsung galaxy tab 8.9" which is the ideal size for me.

If 7" is too small then the price us going to go up and up...

edit: the misses has an iPad for work but I bought her an (expensive:eek:) Asus transformer prime which she likes far more than her iPad (and she loves her iPhone)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Either google nexus or Asus Transformer Pad TF300 with keyboard dock (or if want to spend more get transformer infinity, but you should be able to get TF300 really cheap right now and it is good enough to do everything)

Last edited:

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Size is key...
    I have an old Samsung galaxy tab 8.9" which is the ideal size for me.
    +1
    7 is to small and 10 and up feels "bulky", 8.9 is just right : )

If I was to get a new one I'd get one where I could easily dock a good keyboard, I really miss that sometimes.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    +1
    7 is to small and 10 and up feels "bulky", 8.9 is just right : )

If I was to get a new one I'd get one where I could easily dock a good keyboard, I really miss that sometimes.
    But most are either 7" or 10.1" (mine has been discontinued). I think there is a new 8.9" kindle fire HD in the US though.

IMHO if you want a keyboard then 10.1" is the only sensible option.

So is a balance between cost, portability and ease of use with one hand.

How much do you want to spend? Can your misses (that got corrected by my phone to mistress :p) cope with browsing on a largeish phone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom