Looking for a PCI card with remote for DirecTV and MP (1 Viewer)

imekul

July 27, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi all,

I'm getting ready to put together an XP Pro-based system for MediaPortal, and I'm trying to select the right hardware.

I have DirecTV, specifically a D12-300 receiver. At the end of the day (or week, or month), I'd like to be able to watch and control the DTV receiver, record stuff, and do all that good stuff.

I have a pretty capable system (Intel Core2 4300, 2 GB RAM), but what I need to add is the capture card. I'm looking for a card that will give great video quality, as I would also like to use the card to capture old VHS videos.

Like I said, I have DirecTV. I don't have HD, and I'm not real concerned with supporting that right now. I'm hoping to keep it around $100 and still find a decent card with a remote and IR receiver. Aside from that, I guess I would need a USB/serial cable and a null modem cable to control the D12-300 (which has a built-in USB port) from MediaPortal.

So anyway, could anybody give me recommendations on a good card/remote combo for this purpose? Or if it would be smarter to buy the card and remote separately, I'd be fine with that if somebody can give me some advice on which to choose.

Thanks for your input! I look forward to using MP!

- Luke

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
Just about anything can work, actually.

I suggest a simple hauppauge PVR-150. S-video connection to the settop box (STB). Get the MCE edition, and it'll come with an MCE remote.

To control the STB, you could use the IR blaster that comes with the 150, or MAYBE use a direct serial connection. Though that looks a little iffy here.
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/get-support-90/help-serial-directv-link-tv-server-39826/?highlight=serial+control

I used an IR Blaster with Dish Network. It didn't have a serial port, so I don't have experience with that.

imekul

July 27, 2008
Home Country
Works for me! I just picked up a MCE kit off of eBay for $62 shipped.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom