Looking for simplest EPG for an RVer (1 Viewer)

Simple Simon

July 19, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm an RVer and move around a lot. I have been hanging onto Win7 WMC for it's ease of use but am expecting any support for it to go away and am not happy that the last day for Win10 upgrade is coming fast.

I thought MP would be a good substitute but the many options in the set up are driving me nuts. I've been almost non stop for 3 days trying to get a new setup to work with little luck. I'm a noob at most of this (including Win10 of which I now have) and the terms in most of the other posts go over my head so I can barely follow along.

Hear is what I'm trying to use.

HDHomerun connect. (dual ATSC over the air networked tuner box). I can see that it is working as I can see the channels listing and even watch the TV through MP. It shows as 4 TV servers though as 2 ATSC and 2 QAM (later of which I am not trying.

Windows 10 on a new but small computer.

MP1 as I tried MP2 and saw in a forum that this might work better due to being more tried and true.

Schedules Direct (SD) as I thought that this would be the easiest way to find channels when I move (about every 2 weeks) by just changing zip codes. I selected my Zip code and OTA and saw a channel lineup that looks like what I can see on my TV. I'm still in my free trial. Now I'm pretty sure this is installed right but may not be configured right. There seems to be no details in the Wiki for SD, and I'm not sure of what I'm doing wrong. I think it's installed to the right folder as I can see SchedulesDirect EPG client and even have it enabled in the list of plugins. Clicking on the plugin I can enter my SD Username and Password. I have tried several options in the TV Server configuration and probably hosed it up good.

I unfortunately am new to this stuff and several terms don't make cense to me like mapping, and I'm pretty sure you will want some sort of log but I don't know where that is either. I tried following the xmltv/mc2xml Wiki but got confused but I don't think that is what I want as I don't want to have to rewrite code every time I move. If I can just put in new zip codes and rescan a couple of times that would be ideal.

Is this possible?
Can you help?
--- Post updated ---
Oh sorry. Problem is I still cannot get any of the EPG to show anything other than NO DATA.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Simon

Hear is what I'm trying to use...
    Okay, that should all be fine.
    Note: make sure you change the application (or is it main application - I forget) setting in HDHR Setup from WMC to MediaPortal.

I think it's installed to the right folder...
    Hmmmm, sounds a bit unusual. Usually people get it by installing the "SchedulesDirect Plugin" from within the MediaPortal Extension Installer. That way there shouldn't be any unzipping or having to worry about folders. Is that what you did?

...I can see SchedulesDirect EPG client and even have it enabled in the list of plugins.
    Good. (y)
    Did you remember to restart the TV service (easiest way is via the manual control section in TV Server configuration) after enabling it?
    If you didn't, that could be the reason for your trouble.
    It's important because even though you can see the "client", the plugin isn't properly installed and activated until after you restart the TV service.

There seems to be no details in the Wiki for SD...
    That's because it has it's own wiki... or at least it used to until fairly recently. You can find an archived copy of the old wiki here:
    https://web.archive.org/web/2014100...m/p/mp-schedulesdirect/wiki/GeneralConfigWiki

Not that I think looking at it would be particularly useful. That's just an "FYI".

...and I'm pretty sure you will want some sort of log but I don't know where that is either.
    You're right. :)
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Click "open log directory" in the top left corner.
    3. Zip all the files in that folder.
    4. Attach ("upload a file") the zip file to your next reply.
    It would also help to have screenshots of each of the tabs in the SchedulesDirect plugin so we can see what your configuration is.

Regards,
    mm

Simple Simon

July 19, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Restarting service might have done it (I restarted the whole computer too). I had remembered to set HDHr to MP. I'm getting something now. Just need a couple of more channels to give me something and I should be good as soon as I figure out which ones I actually can pick up.

Yes I got the SD through downloading a plugin. Got confused remembering the whole xmltv/mc2xml attempt. I also see the log folder.

I think you can mark this solved, or if I need to let me know how (still a noob).

Thank you for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom