Looser searching (1 Viewer)

Doodles

Portal Pro
September 9, 2006
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Mackay! I have a request for a future MyLyrics.

The proportion of tracks in my collection marked as having no lyrics is quite high - nearly 2000 out of 7300. I've been reviewing the marked tracks and noticed some anomolies. If a looser searching mechanism were available (perhaps as an option), I think it could find significantly more tracks (for some of us at least).

A few examples:
  • I have two tracks that have the same name except to one I have added "(R)" as it is not the original recording. MyLyrics finds the lyrics for the one without the "(R)" but not the one with, despite the artist name and track name being otherwise identical. Perhaps the search could be repeated if no match is made, ignoring any text in "()","[]" or "{}" on the second search.
  • The lyrics for the musical "Oklahoma!" are all on LyricsonDemand, but MyLyrics doesn't find them. I think this is because the artist name doesn't match. Perhaps the looser search could search on song title alone and not worry about the artist.
  • I have numerous cases where the same song is sung by different artists. Again, searching on song title alone might pick these up.

I accept that the looser search has a much bigger chance of picking up the wrong lyrics, but it's probably easier to remove these from the database than it is to manually add all the missing ones. And I suspect it will get more correct matches than incorrect ones.

Just a thought.

Many thanks for a great plugin.

Alan

mackey

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2006
    right there
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Doodles.
    Thanks for the request.

You are right that the current search is very strict. That is natural to optimize the chances for that a lyric found for at specific song really is the right one and not just a other song that in some odd way have an almost similar combination of title and artist name.

However it does - as you exemplifies - makes sense to have an alternative more loose search. The engine already ignores e.g. "[" and "{" and some special text combinations, but the engine isn't more intelligent that it needs the exact string for artist and title to find the matching lyrics.

I'll analyse how a loose search best can be implemented and it will like be implemented in one of the next releases.

best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom