Make most functions available in context menus or OSD (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi all

since the number of buttons on a remote control is limited, prehaps most functions should be available by context menu and OSD.

In my case I have no more buttons on my remote to configure a "M" button to go back to the DVD menu ... and I didn't find any OSD function to do that ...

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    as you might already noticed it
    we're working on this
    F9 = context menu in most (but indeed not all) places
    and will be extended for more options

frodo

matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    And PLEASE improve the functionality for mouse users.

all OSD should be accessible by a right mouse click, as i think a cordless mouse is the best solution to use a htpc...

A

Anonymous

But not if your PC is in the attic and the TV is on the base floor.

I use the MCE 2005 remote control with ir extender. That is the only way for me and frankly, I think most people who are thinking about using a computer for tv play have their PC in another room then the TV. I think the succes of MP depends on remote implementation efforts and multimonitor support. I now managed to make a clone of the monitor image on the TV working with a Radeon 9600 and I can watch movies in my livingroom while the PC is 6 meters up in the attic. Sometimes it crashes and there are several bugs, but mostly it works.

The mouse is not really for a htpc. It is imho a hifi/video component just like a DVD or video player which is connected via the lan to show all those pictures, weather reports, emails etc. etc. and should be FULLY controlable via the REMOTE control!

matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    CUbels said:
    The mouse is not really for a htpc. It is imho a hifi/video component just like a DVD or video player which is connected via the lan to show all those pictures, weather reports, emails etc. etc. and should be FULLY controlable via the REMOTE control!

i see your point, but maybe you could also let me have my own opinion. my pc is placed right under the tv set but with my bluetooth mouse i could also have it in the attic i would suppose....
    having 8 buttons i can easily send an esc or enter, using an onscreen keyboard i could also do my mails.....
    so - live and let live.... :wink:

btw - i also use a learnable remote to address all my other setup (tv, satbox, beamer,...), but i really like the mouse to get easily to the button i need

A

Anonymous

I'm using a remote controle, but I looking for a good trackball now. If you haven't got a table next to you it's not easy to use a mouse ...

matis1

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2005
    Austria /Europe
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    NetAdam said:
    I'm using a remote controle, but I looking for a good trackball now. If you haven't got a table next to you it's not easy to use a mouse ...

beware - as i said the support for a mouse/trackball is not really good in MP, for instance not as good as in meedio.
    i cant open the osd in dvd playback, in the tv part several functions are not easy to access by a mouse....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom