[Finished] Make "Movies", "Series" and "Recordings" not appear in "Videos" (1 Viewer)

Remove "Series", "Movies" and "Recordings" from "Video" section?

• Yes, please!

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No, I like it as it is!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
September 29, 2015
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

one of the most annoying things lately is, that "Videos" section is showing everything including Movies and Series as well.
  • If we have categories for series and movies there is absolutely no need to show them again in videos
  • It's almost impossible to find my "home videos" in the the videos section, which I thought it is intended for
  • The performance is dropping down with >10000 video files, even scrolling is hard, sometimes it takes 10 seconds until the covers appear and my HTPC is powerful I believe
Please make in "Videos" only appear those files, that are not included in "Movies", "Series" and "Recordings"!

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Or at least adding an option "Show all videos incl. those from other categories" would be nice. As it is now, it's not really good. I face also performance issues and due to that never use the videos section. I would like to see only family movies in this section.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I also never used the Videos section because of this. But I have learned to live with "Browse media" that gives me exactly what I want to view. Nevertheless it is more than time to get rid of movies and series in "Videos" section imho. And if it only is to get a clue about what movies/series are not properly imported...

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And if it only is to get a clue about what movies/series are not properly imported...
    Didn't think about it yet, but that's another good argument. Additionally I'm hoping, that custom filters for videos can be possible someday.
    Eg. "Family", "Vacation", "Sports", ... But at first let's get rid of series and movies ;)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There are alternatives considerable:

We could generally hide "Videos" and only allow the specialized views ones (currently only "Series" and "Movies").
    Then we could add more media categories and respective top level entries. This list has to be user-configurable.

@Brownard used this way to add categories for Emulators and also sub-categories for different emulator types.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Then we could add more media categories and respective top level entries. This list has to be user-configurable.
    Considering BV, there is only space for one item (currently "videos"). But if I can decide what to be shown in this place I'm already happy :)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    We could generally hide "Videos" and only allow the specialized views ones
    Sound good to me. We can start with the already available Movies and Series and add "Others" that has to be created (name is only a "working title") where everything goes that did not belong to a "specialized" section. "Others" will replace the recent "Videos" for now. Later we can add e.g. MusicVideos, Documentations, Sports, Anime,... as soon as proper MDE are available for them...

Edit:
    Together with a future BV menu editor and the possibility to add views and filters to the top menu items you can e.g. add three top menu groups for "videos". One called "Series" that has e.g. buttons for "unseen" or "recently added" series, for series that are in HD resolution only and so on. Similar can be for movies. And the third video top menu group can hold "Browse Media, Online Videos, "Others" and all that may become a specialized section later (Anime, Documentations and such)... This will give a very nice and personalized menu to perfectly fit the users needs and wishes..

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I added a filter to "Videos" section to exclude series and movies. This filtering is done by "EmptyFilters" for a selected MediaAspect of each type. See code changes: https://github.com/MediaPortal/MediaPortal-2/commit/392a982bcd26f381ef89ba65e0f3cd92f38a51f1

What I don't like 100% is the limitation to the currently known MediaAspects "Series" and "Movies". I.e. if we add other aspects later like "Anime" or "Music Videos", the filter would need to be extended.

On the other side we cover this request by ~10 lines of code. I'll add this to a weekly snapshot for wider testing :)

Edit:
    While posting this I recognized that we also could exclude "Recordings" from Videos as well. So the filter should be added to a setting, so we (or users) can extend the limits without code changes later.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'll keep the recordings stuff for later, as I can't introduce a direct dependency from Media to SlimTV plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom