Mal wieder Newbie auf Hardwaresuche ! (1 Viewer)

Berns

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
SteffenJones,

With:
You probably know there are ready-made PC's that have VESA screws to mount them behind the wall mounted TV set that can do all the client stuff for Media Portal?
These kind of devices mostly will use fully integrated motherboards and often even run on an energy friendly (slower) ATOM processor.

I mean:
There are barebone or fully equiped PC's that can save you the hassle to assamble one yourself, that deliver good quality. These sometimes even run on ATOM processors. So, In other words:
An HTPC does not need to be a superpower-high-end-the-sky-is-the-limit-rocket-science-nitrogen-cooled type of thing. Even a low-end PC in most cases can do the job.

On the other end, as the primary purpose is watching movies and TV, the video chip is quite an important item.

The intel DG45ID has the same video and sound chips as my DG45FC, and is compatible with the same set of processors. The DG45ID has 2xUSB and 2XFirewire extra
So I can guarantee you it does the job.

Purely based on specs, the ASUS and the gigabyte boards are quite comparable, with even more connectivity, and they are based on the same northbridge chipset, so it should also be able to do the job.
(I don't have experience with the realtek audio chips used on them, in combination with MediaPortal, so maybe another forum member can comment on that)

PS:
On my DG45FC in combination with the HFX case, I had to move the cooling fins from the northbridge to the southbridge, and to use VLP memory (very low profile) to be able to fit the blu ray disk in the case. I knew that I would need to do that before I bought the equipment.

Hope this helps you a bit further in making some decisions.

Steffenjones

Portal Pro
November 17, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Berns !

Es hilft mir Wirklich ! Danke !
Was habt ihr für eine TV Karte Drin brauche SAT !

Wichtig empfehlt mit bitte bite mal nee TV KArte !

Kann ich auch einfach zwei Karten reinbauen stats eine Dual ?

Was haltet Ihr von Mystique SaTiX-S2, DVB-S2 HDTV/MPEG4/H.264, CI-Connector

Was bedeutet DVB-S2 bzw. DVB-S ???

Gruß und Danke !

Berns

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
SteffenJones,

To answer that question I need to ask a couple of questions:
What do you mean with "dual sat card"?
Will you be needing CIM/CAM compatibility or will you just use free to air?
Will you put the card in a separate server or will you install it in the HTPC?
Have you decided what kind of card you want to use (PCI whatever, or Firewire, or USB)?
Have you decided what case you will be using (not every card will be compatible with a specific case-motherboard combination)

I only have experience with Floppy-DTV S2 cards. But that are single cards that can be fitted with a CAM and a CIM.
They are superb. Unfortunately, production of them has been discontinued.

Steffenjones

Portal Pro
November 17, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi Berns,

Ich mit dual meinte ich das auf einer Karte zwei Tuner sind !
Habe jetzt gelesen das ich auch zwei karten einbauen kann !

Ich brauche kein CIM/CAM Modul only free !
Ich denke ich will PCI nutzen direkt im HTPC ! Möchte nicht nch etwas rumstehen haben darum alles intern !

Danke Bern !

Luna96

Portal Pro
November 5, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
Was haltet Ihr von Mystique SaTiX-S2, DVB-S2 HDTV/MPEG4/H.264, CI-Connector

Was bedeutet DVB-S2 bzw. DVB-S ???

Die Mystique ist baugleich mit den jeweiligen KNC, nur günstiger zu kriegen. Die KNC-Treiber können auch verwendet werden. Mit DVB-S2 TV-Karten sind auch die HDTV-Kanäle zu empfangen. FTA gibt es im Moment nicht allzu viele.
DVB-S2 Karten mit Dualtuner gibt es bis auf diese Media-Pointer MP-S2² DVB-S2 Twin Tuner "Low Profile" - Media-Pointer.de für PCIe meines Wissens nicht. Die Mediapointer ist durchaus empfehlenswert. Vom Preis solltest du dich nicht abschrecken lassen, zwei DVB-S2 für PCI sind auch nicht (wesentlich) billiger.

Berns

Portal Pro
July 27, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Luna96, steffenjones,

The MP S2 is in fact a Micronas MicSidewinder(r) 2D-X. It is not a PCI card. It is a PCI Express card.
To avoid compatibility errors this is where you have to decide on a motherboard again.

One of the reasons I voted for the floppy-DTV S2 is that they are firewire, so will work with virtually any mobo (eventually equipped with a cheap firewire card). It gives me flexibility to change my media server when I would have some budget for it.

The MP S2 goes at over € 150.

So, steffenjones, when you have 2 PCI slots available, and no PCI-Express, you could go for 2 TechnoTrend TT-Budget S2-1600. (available at under €60 in Germany)
Before buying a card, you could check on this forum if other users have good results on the card you would want to shoot for.

Indeed, deciding what hardware to go for, is a puzzle to solve. This is a point where the choise of motherboard is important as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom