Malware Ads (1 Viewer)

cbaba

August 15, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I accidentally downloaded some malware (7-Zip) from an ad on the MediaPortal website. The ad only contained a "Download" button and a smaller "7-Zip" text far to the right of the download button. There was no indication that this was an ad. As this ad was on one of the software installation pages and I didn't read the fine print that showed up. I honestly thought I was downloading the MediaPortal Installer.

Webmasters, Please don't use any ad servers that are so deceptive. There is no reason for this website, or any website, to run ads from these sort of scumbags.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, I'm sorry for the missunderstanding.
    7-zip is usually no malware but a trustable packing tool, but to be sure the URL of that ad would be needed.

Last edited:

cbaba

August 15, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm sorry "high", I made a small mistake in my first post. The malware is called "optimum installer" and it does a bunch of unwanted stuff to your browser. I believe the ad said "7-up" in small text to the right, but it may have said something else.

The ad with the "Download" button took me to a web page and I didn't read the fine print and clicked "download" again thinking that this was the MediaPortal Software. It wasn't and I had to spend a half an hour to get it all removed.

I saw many of these deceptive "download" ads on this web site and it is really something about as useful as spam. I hope you can be more careful with your choice of ads or ad servers (or whatever they are called).

Here is a picture of the ad on a different web page:

MediaPortal Forum_Ad_Cropped.jpg

I think it is extremely deceptive.

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ah...thats an old friend...constantly generating new adwords-accounts.
    just blocked 10 accounts again and will keep an eye on them the next days, thanks for notifying

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom