Maximum concurent sessions & suitability to be used in a school environment (1 Viewer)

blaze.trademe

July 31, 2012
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Everyone

This is my first post and did search of answers but could not find. I have recently found myself in the position of managing the network/IT for a small school of 350 users. The school has a library of educational videos on optical media and lots on VHS. What I want to do is digitize them and make them accessible using some software. Looked at Clickview, but that is expensive.

Questions:

1. How many concurrent sessions does media portal support? Our network is gigabit and I have a decent server, dual gig nics, 2TB raid5 storage, dual CPU.

2. I just downloaded Media Portal 2 Alpha. When subsequent Alpha, beta etc releases of version 2 are made, is it going to be straight forward upgrade by executing the install file?

3. I dont see a time frame anywhere of when version 2 may be ready or move into beta stage.

4. Is media portal used in schools to manage their video libraries? Or is it mostly a personal video collection application?

Thanking everyone in advance for responses.

Regards
Blaze

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    1. How many concurrent sessions does media portal support? Our network is gigabit and I have a decent server, dual gig nics, 2TB raid5 storage, dual CPU.

For normal media playback (no live tv or recordings) the only limiting factor is network bandwidth and server performance. It is hard to estimate how many concurrent connections the specific setup can handle. Maybe someone has more exact real world figures?

2. I just downloaded Media Portal 2 Alpha. When subsequent Alpha, beta etc releases of version 2 are made, is it going to be straight forward upgrade by executing the install file?

MediaPortal 2 is currently in alpha stage, it is not recommended to be used with production environments. MediaPortal 1 is currently at version 1.2.3 (1.3.0 beta coming up). MediaPortal 1 and MediaPortal 2 are different products.

3. I dont see a time frame anywhere of when version 2 may be ready or move into beta stage.

There is no schedule yet available. A good estimate is that it won't be ready in few month time frame at least.

4. Is media portal used in schools to manage their video libraries? Or is it mostly a personal video collection application?

There has been some queries for school use, but it is hard to say how much there is actual usage in such environment. Maybe you could do a seach on the forum and try to contact the persons who have been asking the similar question earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom