Maybe I'm missing the boat... (1 Viewer)

condar_1

Portal Member
December 19, 2007
I just installed media portal and I'm not having any luck in getting it to run.... at all....

I'm running a headless system (for now) as my media server. I log on via remote desktop and try to execute the program and get the following error..

Warning: Nothing will be rendered.
The reference rendering device was selected, but your
computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device
installed. Please check if your graphics card and
drivers meet the minimum system requirements

Is this because I'm using remote desktop or becuase the onboard graphics of the motherboard doesn't have enough umph to run the program?

Here is the full log.

2007-12-18 21:00:40.875000 [ERROR][MPMain]: D3D: Exception: Warning: Nothing will be rendered.
The reference rendering device was selected, but your
computer only has a reduced-functionality reference device
installed. Please check if your graphics card and
drivers meet the minimum system requirements.

2007-12-18 21:02:10.328125 [ERROR][MPMain]: Exception :confused:ystem.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.GUIGraphicsContext.get_SkinCacheFolder()
at MediaPortal.GUI.Library.TexturePacker.Cleanup()
at MediaPortalApp.OnExit()
at MediaPortalApp.Main(String[] args)
2007-12-18 21:02:10.328125 [ERROR][MPMain]: Exception :confused:tartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex
2007-12-18 21:02:10.328125 [ERROR][MPMain]: site :confused:ystem.String InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32, Int32, Boolean)
2007-12-18 21:02:10.343750 [ERROR][MPMain]: source :mscorlib
2007-12-18 21:02:10.343750 [ERROR][MPMain]: stacktrace: at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
2007-12-18 21:02:10.343750 [ERROR][MPMain]: MediaPortal stopped due 2 an exception StartIndex cannot be less than zero.
Parameter name: startIndex mscorlib at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)

Thanks for you help. I have no idea what is going wrong here. :confused: :confused:

jburnette

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Kentucky
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Do you have any idea if your onboard graphics support Directx 9.0C? That is required to run MediaPortal. If you're not sure, post the name of it and someone will be able to tell you.

condar_1

Portal Member
December 19, 2007
Hmmm... I don't know if it does or not. I'm currently using an onboard graphics adapter.
It is an Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PEGV Graphics Contoller. (actually a Dell Optiplex 160L)
It's an older Dell with an Intel 2.4 P4 with 2 gig ram. Everything is onboard except for the sound
board (I disabled the onboard) where I installed a soundblaster x-fi xtreme.

Again... I'm running this computer via remote desktop in xp pro.

I didn't want to put a new video card and tuner card in it until I buy my new TV in January.
I was just trying to get familar with the Media Portal before the "due date".

I'm not sure if this controller (graphics card) is good enough or not.

Anyone?

I just downloaded and installed Direct X 9.0C and still get this same error.

I dunno?

Lomax01

Portal Member
October 19, 2007
London
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I think you'll find that using remote desktop does not use the localised graphics and therefore will not run. Try using a VNC application like RealVNC, which is free, as this will use the onboard graphics and therefore allow the rendering.

I hope this makes some sense. :)

level20peon

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 4, 2007
    Aachen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think you'll find that using remote desktop does not use the localised graphics and therefore will not run. Try using a VNC application like RealVNC, which is free, as this will use the onboard graphics and therefore allow the rendering.

This won't work unless you logon locally once. RDP creates a virtual logon session which won't display on your monitor at all (if you had one installed). VNC creates connections to EXISTING logon sessions but if they are not local (displayed on monitor once) they will connect to the virtual session created by RDP which will not make you able to render anything.

-level20peon

condar_1

Portal Member
    December 19, 2007
    You know, I forgot about RDP actually shutting down the video card on the host end. I only use remote desktop on headless systems. On regular clients I use pc anywhere (slow, I know but I'm on a gigabit network so it's not so bad). I'll give it a try with a monitor when I get home and see what happens. I'll post.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom