[solved] MCE remote Back button also opens the side menu (1 Viewer)

G4il1

Portal Member
February 4, 2008
Since MP version 1.13 when the MCE Remote HID was removed for the Generic HID instead I have had the problem of both going to previous menu and opening the side menu when I am pressing the Back button on my MCE remote.
I can manage buy pressing the left button and then back button again and so on until I am at the right level in the menu structure but it is getting rather frustrating to do that all the time.

I have tried to search the forum about this specific problem without success.

I have checked that the esc key on a keyboard work as it should and it does it only moves up one level without the side menu opening

The MCE remote I am using is a Real Windows MCE RC6, Looks exactly as the one on the top row second from the right in the HID configuration, confirmed by also finding the entry eHome Infrared Transceiver under HID in the Device manager.

I have also tried the HID Demo and there I am getting the following sequence of codes when I am pressing the back button:
AppCtrlBack 022402
Menu - Down 0x0038
Left - Down E0 0x004B
Left - Up E0 0x004B
Menu - UP 0x0038
(blank) 020000

So I can kind of understand why many things might happen but it worked with MP version 1.12 and before with the MCE Remote HID enabled.
I also confirmed that my Harmony 650 remote configured to send as an MCE Remote sends the exact same sequence as above so the Back button is surely sending that sequence as default.

So is this a known issue or am I the only one experience this problem?
And do anyone know if there is a way to fix it in MP 1.14?

G4il1

Portal Member
February 4, 2008
Thanks for the reply Stéphane.
To my knowledge I have never installed Kodi or a Kodi remote Plugin on any computer but I am game to try and see if there is something in the registry that is corrupt

Just for info I also checked that nothing is in the C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\InputDeviceMappings directory and I have even removed the old MicrosoftMCE.xml from the MP installation directory path but same problem

Anyway I found a forum topic in the Kodi forums about an Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool that i used to reset all settings but that did not help however I used that tool to instead map Key Esc to Back button and that did the trick so now it works as it should again.

So if anyone else have a problem the tool might help.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Anyway I found a forum topic in the Kodi forums about an Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool that i used to reset all settings but that did not help however I used that tool to instead map Key Esc to Back button and that did the trick so now it works as it should again.

I'm baffled! That tool is awesome and it is open source, too bad it's VB rather than C# but still awesome.
    So what was AMCERM saying about your back button when you first opened it?
    Mine shows the following. Can you set it back to Back and see it works then in HID Demo or do you still get the extre Menu and Left keystroke?

upload_2016-5-9_20-36-26.png

G4il1

Portal Member
    February 4, 2008
    Yes it said Back with the same Byte Code as your picture do.
    I did a "Load Original MCE" -> "Apply To Registry" and Restarted the Computer yesterday as a test before I changed to Escape and that did nothing different, same sequence as first described.

I will check when I get home and change back to "back" instead of "Escape" and see if that makes a difference now that I have set it to Escape and get back to you.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It could be you have some driver from a special keyboard or mouse that's somehow injecting those extra events.
    Gaming software tools maybe? Just guessing.

G4il1

Portal Member
    February 4, 2008
    OK found the culprit, namely the MS Intellitype pro software that was installed with my Keyboard and Mouse.

I noticed that if I was fast in using the HID Demo directly after a restart it gave the correct sequence but after a few seconds the wrong one appeared.
    So I disabled the most probable startup program, the iType.exe, from startup and now all is working as it should with Back button set as Back function.

So if someone else have a similar problem and the MS Intellitype software installed please disable it or remove the software and see if it helps.

Thanks Stéphane for the suggestions and help.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Stéphane for the suggestions and help.
    Thanks to you for taking the time to get to the bottom of that issue.
    Maybe there is a setting you could change in Intellitype rather than disable it altogether, in case you needed some of its features.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Yes thank you so much for this fix. Been bugging me for at least a year. Finally decided to sit down and work out what was wrong. Uninstalled Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard software and all fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom