MCE Remote Green-Start Button not starting MP (1 Viewer)

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
July 31, 2013
Suffolk
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Sorry for raising yet another item on this subject, but as a newcomer to MP I need some help as the options are many and varied. i.e. I don't want to be lead down a rat-run if it's not required. ...such as installing IR Server Suite or EventGhost etc. So here we go...

The Green/Start button does not run MP, and doesn't run anything else either. However, if MP is already up and running, some (not checked all) of the keys do work and can navigate within MP. Think I've gone thru the MP Config setup config as closely as I can (and attached screen-shots to confirm):
  1. 3rd party: Additional 3rd party checks have status "services disabled by policy"
  2. 3rd party: ...and MPTray autostart has a tick in it, and the icon appears in the system tray but doesn't respond to any double/single-mouse clicks
  3. Remote: Selected the Microsoft MCE but no changes to mapping.
The remote is a Vista VRC-1100 and appears in the device list as per attached screen-shot and assume it's a cloned device.
...and am running on Win 7 (64bit).
When opening properties of MP shortcut, and entering the shortcut tab, and then pressing green/start on remote a code appears for a very short time which I think is "CTRL + ALT + <something I cant see>"

If the solution is go down say the IRSS or EventGhost (etc) route then so be it - just need someone to say which one is probably good enough. I don't want to re-map every key but just make the start/green button work otherwise other users in the house just won't use MP. ...and I'll be under more pressure to go back to a sky-box or similar.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Green-3rdparty.JPG
    Green-3rdparty.JPG
    53.9 KB
  • Green-DeviceList.JPG
    Green-DeviceList.JPG
    72.6 KB
  • Green-MicSoftMCE.JPG
    Green-MicSoftMCE.JPG
    62.6 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal works out of the box with Microsoft compatible MCE remotes. MCE Clone appears as eHome Receiver under HID devices. Your device is not a proper microsoft mce clone as it is not visible in device manager.

PS. It's probably CTRL+ALT+ENTER so you might get success using that key combo as a shortcut :)

MCE remotes are available from ebay for ~$15-20 USD incl P&P if you don't hace success.

Also This: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/vista-mce-remote-control-vrc-1100.94301/page-4

Goodluck.

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Suffolk
    Home Country
    Thanks for quick response.

Can you advise how I search for a compatible MCE clone? Problem is that I'd no way of telling if the the Vista VRC-1100, that I've just purchased from eBay, was compatible or not. I have now seen a couple of Forum threads suggesting that I include "RC6" as part of my compatibility search string - is this the case?

Regarding CTRL+ALT+ENTER... I don't know how I can enter this code into the shortcut key. Won't allow me to paste or actually write it in. Any suggestions? ...or am I missing something here?

Regarding your forum link... Yes, that's one of the links I'd seen but got a little bit worried about just how many plug-ins I'd have to master before getting the green button to work.

If it's just down to the fact I've already purchased an incompatible remote, then I guess it's just a case of understanding what actually constitutes a compatible MCE remote. ...and buy a replacement. I always work on the principle that if it's getting too complicated a solution, then it's probably not the right solution!

Regards...

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Suffolk
    Home Country
    Thanks for the pointers. At last I now have some confidence in a solution. I was really worried about having to go down the EventGhost (et al) route.
    I'll feedback any problems and successes.

ben1210

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the pointers. At last I now have some confidence in a solution. I was really worried about having to go down the EventGhost (et al) route.
    I'll feedback any problems and successes.

Hello Rob - how did you get on with the VRC1100 - I have three around the house and all is fine APART from I've never been able to get the green Start button to boot MP, have you? thanks

RobAtBentley

Portal Pro
    July 31, 2013
    Suffolk
    Home Country
    Hi Ben1210... No, I never did get the old VRC1100 working for the green-button issue. I finally went for a handful of HP units (HP USB Microsoft MCE Media center IR HP Remote Control RC6 Kit) that have been working well ever since. The secret seemed to be in the RC6 compatibility and the VRC1100 didn't have that in its spec. The HP kits are available on Amazon for about £17 - see this example. The only problem with the HPs is that they don't have any back-lit buttons so not great in a dark room - may be worth looking for something a bit more upmarket if this is a problems for you too.
    Happy hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom