MCE remote (on non-MCE box) and software questions (1 Viewer)

Y

y0bailey

MCE remote (on non-MCE box) and software questions
i am basically going to just talk to myself here so i think clearly, but i need you guys help making a decsion.

okay first off i have this crappy tuner card i picked up for way cheap a long time ago. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16815100103

it is kworld and uses the Conexant 878A tuner. it works just fine for what i want (eventually i will upgrade to HD), except the shipped software is terrible and the remote is even more terrible. I am moving to a new house and the room is huge, so that elimates me walking across the room to change channels and volume etc.

i stumbled across mediaportal, and this software looks amazing. i noticed that it supoorts the MCE remote control, and my eyes lit up. can i use the MCE remote control and this software in regular winxp to control everything in mediaportal? meaning it will eliminate the crappy software and crappy remote issue?

would this software or similar software allow me to do this, and is it worth the money (or should i just buy a new tuner with better software and remote)? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: i was thinkign about getting this remote. http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/cPath/38/products_id/160

it looks pretty nice, its a little cheaper. you guys think it will work?

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
December 8, 2004
North America
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Yes it does!

That is the exact remote I have and it works fine. The only caveat is that the drivers for the thing come standard with XP-Pro, but not with XP-Home. So to use it with XP-Home you need to extract the drivers from a XP-Pro install disk and use them. There are threads in this forum that discuss that in great detail. I use XP-Home with the XP-Pro drivers and this remote with MP and it works great. In the MP config, that unit you linked to is the US model.

PS: That is a pretty good price as well.

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    Do yourself a favor and get the MCE remote. I bought a cheap TV tuner card, an Avermedia AVerTV PVR150. It came with no remote and was designed to go into MCE operating system.

I use MediaPortal and the MCE remote and it works perfectly. It is really, really nice. I used to use wireless trackball (which I still need to use every once in a while), but now I use the MCE remote 99% of the time. The MP team has done a real nice job integrating the MCE remote.

I originally had a firefly remote, but it was a pain in the ass to use. Get the MCE remote. Also, make sure your card is supported by MP. http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/install:capturecards:start

My AverTV card wasn't but I followed the instructions on the "Adding a card to the natively supported list" on the page I linked to above and DMAN had a working config file for me within a few hours of his receipt of my GraphEdit and Word files.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Addition: Make sure you get the non-US version of the MCE remote, because the US version lacks of the coloured buttons which are (I would say) essential for Media Portal.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    Actually I run fine with the US model. If I am not in full screen and need to get there, I can do so by going to the top bar and pressing the full screen icon. It would be nice to have those colored buttons sometimes, but not essential in my opinion.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This problem should be gone in some of the next MP versions (targeted against 0.1.4.0), where the MCE remote should also be fully configurable with predefined and user-mappings. But as this is not implemented yet, it's a good idea to get hands on a non-US version. Yes, using the topbar is some kind of workaround.

Y

y0bailey

alright i ordered the philips MCE remote. i compared them and it looks almost identical to the MS version, so i went for it. i will let everyone know how it is working out. i cannot wait. now to buy a huge LCD monitor and i'm set!

Y

y0bailey

okay so my remote is lacking the colored buttons, and i know codemonkey said he can get fullscreen by going to the top bar. want to give me a little walkthrough with this, i am seriously having mental problems right now,

peeper

February 14, 2005
    UK
    Can anyone offer a link to a picture of the non-US (and maybe also the US version for comparison) MCE remote, please? I'm considering buying this
    http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=2054
    but can't tell from the information and the image if it's of the non-US type (I'm in the UK).

Also, are there different versions of non-US remotes that should be avoided?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom