Media Center on a non-Media Center CPU (1 Viewer)

Kman42

December 12, 2005
I had a question, and I'm sorry if it's been answered, but I'm really tired, and didn't have time to search.

I'm kind of a noob to MCE and MPE, FYI, so don't flame me if I'm asking a stupid question.

My question is, I know that Media Center comes built in on Microsoft computers, but is there any way to install Media Center, not MediaPortal on a non-MCE computer like my Toshiba Satellite M35X?

Thanks in advance!!!

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    not that I know of. You have to reinstall Windows. This is silly though, as MCE is really just Win XP Home. I think it's more a marketing decision than a practical one.

For more helpful information though, try a MCE forum. If you google you should find quite a few. www.thegreenbutton.com from memory is a good one.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    You can actually install it on XP Home/Pro, Ive seen guides to do it. It requires you to overwrite a lot of dll files and to make it think its MCE05.

Kman42

December 12, 2005
    Oh, then never mind. I wouldn't want to hack and change my DLL's , Media Portal sounds better for my needs anyways.

Thanks for your responses guys!!!

Incognito

Portal Member
    March 7, 2006
    Yea i managed to do it on my old laptop, was a complete pain in the *** needed to twaek the registry n LOADS of other tweaks not including the dlls above its only XP professional with an interface

i also got the interface working on home BUT this took about a week of messing with files to get working and still crashed on exit lol not really worth it in the end the tradtional way is better

Format n Fresh Install with MCE :D

Regards Andrew

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yep MCE is XP Pro alright, Tried it, Binned it.

Could not stand the limitations

Hey i was not replying to this post what happened :?

8)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I think the way the 'new thread' buttons works. It should require you to search before letting you post the new thread :) It will help with the few VERY common questions (not this one specifically but ones about remotes/o.s etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom