Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    Hi MP community & site administrators,

Since I started using / developing on MP; users, functionality and collaboration have grown tremendiously. I would like to further help by giving a few suggestions on possible ideas to foster collaboration and improve MP.

1. Move the forums, mantis & wiki to sourceforge.
    Everyone is greatful for everyones time, effort and web hosting but this gives the benefit of a common administration location, and numerous other features that sourceforge offers. Of course administration could be still delegated to those currently responsible.

2. Set up something like php nuke or other portal collaboration tool. This will bring together the community and allow us to share files and have 1 common location for everything MP, files, forums, mantis, wiki, skins, documentation, addons, links to external sites etc. I won't go into all the benefits of a content management system here but you get the idea.

Although this sounds like alot of work I believe in the end that the MP community would greatly benefit from this sort of thing.

luke

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've thought of this a few times, and after reading through their offerings to projects i see the first big problem. Our database for the forums is over 250mb in size, SF allows this "Each project is provided up to 100MB of space for project-related web content and project-installed scripts."

I'm trying to get the rest of the administrative staff to decide on moving everything over to our own domain. This would solve the problem of having everything spread about. I'm also looking at moving the servers to a larger datacenter or upgrading the one they are in to better suite our needs. We're also working on plans to add a second server to serve some extra duties like db replication and failover webserver to help make things more redundent overall.

Thank you for your suggestions, i hate to sound negative in my posts, so please don't take offense to most anything i say, i work behind the scenes and don't talk alot to users.

Did my post address some of your thoughts/concerns?

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    • Banned
    luke said:
    I've thought of this a few times, and after reading through their offerings to projects i see the first big problem. Our database for the forums is over 250mb in size, SF allows this "Each project is provided up to 100MB of space for project-related web content and project-installed scripts."

That is a problem, I didn't know that sourceforge had such a limit on the size of databases but that does make sense.

luke said:
    I'm trying to get the rest of the administrative staff to decide on moving everything over to our own domain. This would solve the problem of having everything spread about. I'm also looking at moving the servers to a larger datacenter or upgrading the one they are in to better suite our needs. We're also working on plans to add a second server to serve some extra duties like db replication and failover webserver to help make things more redundent overall.

Thank you for your suggestions, i hate to sound negative in my posts, so please don't take offense to most anything i say, i work behind the scenes and don't talk alot to users.

Did my post address some of your thoughts/concerns?

Your post does address my thoughts and concerns thank you. It is great to know that planning for something similar is already underway.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom