Media portal internal player losing A/V sync + my codec confusions - please help!!! (1 Viewer)

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
Hi all,

First off I know this is a long post but really am clueless here. I'd very much appreciate someone take a look and give me some advice as I'd love nothing more than to understand all this and then help others out.

Ok so I'm not sure what im doing but I based my setup on Theydons HTPC setup here. And also used this link here for setup of codecs. The first link has codec setup too.

My initial question is when I play any XVID of say "The Shield" tv series. If I play them via the MP internal player I lose A/V sync within about 10 seconds. If however I play them via The KMPlayer its perfect. MKV files of another tv series work perfectly on both the internal MP player and The KMPlayer. It is only on XVIDs played in on the MP internal player.

I have installed the following codec related software on this PC...

- AC3Filter v1.51a
- CoreAVC Professional Edition (latest as ive paid for it)
- FFDShow rev2588_20090106
- Haali Matroska Splitter
- PowerDVD 7.3
- PowerDVD 8
- The KMPlayer

Basically for the MP internal player codec settings I have tried a combination of many codecs. The default for me were this...

MPEG-2 Video Decoder = MPV Decoder Filter
H294 Video Decoder = CoreAVC
Audio Decoder = MPA Decoder Filter
Audio Renderer = Default Direct Sound Device

But where available I have tried setting the decoders / renderers to using the PowerDVD 7 and 8, ffdshow, AC3Filter, CoreAVC. All of my attempts seem to play all of my XVID (350MB) files for the tv series with A/V sync issues.

Seeing as The KMPlayer works fine Im assuming its a codec related issue but not really sure. The KMPlayer has such a host of config items I get pretty lost in it all. I set it up based on the above two links but basically...

Audio = Internal Codecs tab has XVID ticked, but ive unticked X264 and on the External Codec tab use FFDSHOW for X264.
Video = On the Internal Codec its SPDIF, and on the External Codec its AC3Filter mainly.

If requested ill post screenshots - thats if you want to get into this for me! :) And regarding the external audio codec I just noticed CoreAVC is there but not used - surely I should change this because I've paid for it? Ive look into other posts and see people are using PowerDVD codecs and others. Not sure what is better for me to use?

The why for all this is basically because I like how the MP interacts with videos playing on its internal player. Much more visual and friendly. Also because I want to crack this and tick the box of my geeky things to know.

Please anyone that understands this stuff please help. Let me know what I need to do, or need to show you if it helps. Willing to try anything (almost)!!!

Further spec stuff below.

Thanks,
D.

MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Vista 64
CPU Type: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB (2x1MB) L3 Cache
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache*
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G Socket AM2+ onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX
Video Card: onboard Radeon ATI HD 3200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.12
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: Realtek HDMI audio v6.0.1.5776
Sound Card Driver: Realtek HDMI audio v6.0.1.5776
MPEG2 Video Codec: various, see above
MPEG2 Audio Codec: various, see above
h.264 Video Codec: various, see above
HTPC Case: Antec Fusion Remote Veris Black MATX Media Center Case
Cooling: included case fans
Power Supply: Extra Value 500W 12cm Silent Fan PSU
Remote: included case remote
TV: Samsung 40" LE40M86BD
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI for video and audio
Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000
Projector - HTPC Connection: HDMI for video and audio

Thanks again,
D.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
January 10, 2009
Ok I re-read the sticky here and have made some progress but still have an annoying dark area in my brain :)

Ive also not tried this SAF pack because by the time I found that a few weeks back I'd already set everything up to my current setup above.

These XVID files are AVIs. I just "muxed" one into a MKV container and it plays perfect now. No A/V sync issues. I'm happy to re-do them all into MKV containers but surely if it works in The KMPlayer then I can get it working in MP internal player? I would like to understand what I should be using and should not be using for codecs though. Anyone care to help please!! :D

D.

choose 60Hz for (older) xvid playback

you should also check out the Slysoft ReClock beta

Thanks for your reply.

Im sure when i viewed this post 30 seconds ago you posted a URL. Weird.

Funnily enough my settng was 59Hz. Not sure why, but ive set to 60Hz and will re-test in a sec. So are you saying its a refresh rate problem?

cruse

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Removed the link since it was blocked.

I made the experience that videos with a fps where the Hz is no (rough) multiple show the behavior in MP you wrote about. If you use ReClock, the tray icon indicates whether fps and Hz match (green). There should be no delay in MP in that case.

dlthorpe

Portal Pro
    January 10, 2009
    Thanks for explaining ill give it a go.

Do you know what codecs I should be using tho? Im pretty sure I could select any and it would play a movie, but why would you use one over another?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom