[News] MediaPortal 1.12.0 Released! (1 Viewer)

allanp81

Portal Pro
October 24, 2006
Are you able to turn on closed captioning on the fly while watching TV or does it need to enabled permanently from the config application?

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    I'm very disappointed with the later releases - This generally proves that MePo is dying...........fast!(Just check downloads stats at sourceforge!):cry:

Been a very satisfied Mediaportal user for 9 years(daily basis!), and the development of Mediaportal have never been worse than now in my opinion.

Look at the release notes - 2 updates in a release/month! - Mediaportal 2 seeeems far far away from being a stable system.

If I could contribute I would, but I can't - But this defintely looks like the end (n)

For the last 4 months I have been using Kodi/Openelec(with Tvheadend PVR backend) on my 4 workstations.

I really hope that this will change, hence Mediaportal is really a great open source software.

I think the only way, MePo can get back in the game, is by adding streaming Video/Music support of Out-the-box! - Where is native Netflix, HBO, spotify/Tidal support!.

Sorry for being a party-pooper here - Just giving my honest opinion,

Good luck in the future MePo - fingers crossed here:love:

/Morten

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Mediaportal 2 seeeems far far away from being a stable system.
    Have you tried MP2?? If it is so, what is not working stable for you? If not, why do you say such false statements?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Look at the release notes - 2 updates in a release/month!
    That's because Mediaportal Team is using train model now with new releases following one by one. But IMO development wasn't intensive enough for using it. I hope team will change their opinion now and return to once a year release to make it more valuable.

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    Mediaportal 2 seeeems far far away from being a stable system.
    Have you tried MP2?? If it is so, what is not working stable for you? If not, why do you say such false statements?

Hi Aspik & Others.

Of couse I have, else I wouldn't post it!o_O

Well Mediaportal 2 have been ongoing developement for 3 YEARS! - And it's still not even Beta, without any release or news updates for almost 1 year now.

-Configuration and usability - Not intuitive setting up in ANY way
    -GUI Layout is still way behind the quality of current MP1.
    -No native PVR - And performance of PVR playback is REALLY bad.

Generally Mediaportal dev team seem to have outsourced almost any native functionality out to being "plugins" over the years. For the user experience, it ends up being a mess to install and maintain.

Put Mediaportal to a very simple test- Install it without ANY modifications - Navigate around the default installation set up - You will find more issues than answers!

I personally think that the Mediaportal feel and intuitive(easy) usability is heavily undermaintained and down-prioritized in so many ways that it is directly causing users to move to other "easier" projects like KODI/Openelec - Did MePo ever have native autoupdate, music/video scraping and CEC support! No, still being clugged up in tons of MP installers and other dependencies - StreamedMp "skin" is still an "outsourced" patch on the wound for achieving decent functionality.

I know there a few very good developers around Mepo and they are doing a hard job improving the system - But from a high level perspective, the architecture is lacking from a generic user perspective

Edalax+others - Look back through the releases since 1.2/1.3/1.4 - After that, every release have been nitty gritty stuff done(minor bugfixing, specialized featuritis).......When was the last time there was actually added any new functionality for the full community? Sorry, but I can't recall! I think there generally something wrong in developement, when we prioritize Gamepad support(seriously!) over Native streaming functionality.............and what happened to developement of Mobile devices(Amdroid) and web services(Webmediaportal) integration - they are completely dead in development!

Well, another long post bashing the project....again.........I'm just a bit frustrated about the current development state and my big dedication towards MePo - I would be eager to assist in some of the architecture decisions taken behind the scenes - but it feels those discussions aren't being fully open or driven.

A lack of developers might be the core root cause - But on the other side, I have not seen any news regarding trying to onboard or attract any new .NET developers.

/Morten

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    without any release or news updates for almost 1 year now.
    Not true. Here are the latest development snapshots:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/development-snapshots.683/
    Almost every 2 weeks a new snapshot is posted.
    GUI Layout is still way behind the quality of current MP1.
    Does this look ugly to you:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/summer-15-release-vorschau.131220/
    ??
    No native PVR - And performance of PVR playback is REALLY bad.
    Since February TVE3.0 (the same as it is in MP1) is in MP2 included:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ekly-snapshot-2015-02-22.129821/#post-1126271

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    without any release or news updates for almost 1 year now.
    Not true. Here are the latest development snapshots:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/development-snapshots.683/
    Almost every 2 weeks a new snapshot is posted.
    GUI Layout is still way behind the quality of current MP1.
    Does this look ugly to you:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/summer-15-release-vorschau.131220/
    ??
    No native PVR - And performance of PVR playback is REALLY bad.
    Since February TVE3.0 (the same as it is in MP1) is in MP2 included.

Deploys:
    Sorry Aspik - but you are simply just being blind right there - it is development snapshots, not Official news posted releases - nor snapshot every 2 weeks, more like once a month - and the actual content is small compared to what is actually needed for getting MP2 into a production ready system! I'm not saying that there is not taking any development in place, but the pace of it has considerably slowed down over the last couple of years - ecspecially since Kodi started supporting PVR and RPi entered the scene with OpenElec.

Just take a look at the forum lastet posts.......back in the days, there were many pages per day - nowadays it's more like a couple of days posts per page - MePo is by fact losing community users and there by also developers.........sad to see.

Looks:
    That is really good news, that there finally is a decent GUI for MP2 - But will it provide the good user experience and flawlessly navigation? - From the screenshots yes - But in my opinion the last time MP2 got that golden Skin, it actually worsened the feel and performance - So lets benchmark it, when it arrives :)

PVR:
    Where is the Official release news and download? I can't find it anywhere except for the forums!

If only Mediaportal 1+2 could supply SUPPORTED and SEAMLESS Netflix, HBO, Spotify and Tidal support/functionality Out-of-the-box - Don't believe any other media center have provided support for it EVER? (Although Kodi on Windows seems closest currently). This would for sure turn the tables in favor of MePo.

The discussions around these streaming API tends to drown in - No API(Netflix), not core to Mediaportal, no developers and then ending up being a single user doing his own plugin/web parsing(closed source) - The solutions often ends up covering 70-80 percent untill API/Parsing breaks and users loses faith in it, because the developer don't have time to fix it. Would be nice to see some development codebase structure around core streaming APIs in the future.............or have we already lost the battle to "SmartTV"s?

/Morten

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    If you want official news about the current state of MP2, then check out the main page today in the evening. There will be an official new build with release notes posted.

Regarding streaming services like Netflix HBO, etc., as you said there is no official API and therefore it is not possible that someday an open source app will officially support these streams. Even youtube changed recently his API and it’s no longer working on many “old” smart TVs. In an open source app there is always a chance that a dev will look at the new API and fix it. In a smart TV if the hardware is limited (like in case of the new youtube API) there will be no new officially firmware for the new API and you have a smart TV without the “smart” ;)

Users who are viewing this thread