MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (3 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

From the logs it seemed that from time to time a frame was inserted into the audio stream which was not noticable.

That is not bitstreaming anymore if the audio is molested by inserting data (duplicating packets or dropping). Even James from Slysoft agrees that it is not real bitstreaming. Bitstreaming can be considered only if the encoded data is transfered as 1:1 to the amplifier.

What comes to the fact that it was not noticeable most likely iy was not done too often and it was just happening on cases were it was not causing any noticeable difference to audio. But what is point of running after bitstreaming if you aren't wanting real bitstreaming? :)

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

From the logs it seemed that from time to time a frame was inserted into the audio stream which was not noticable.

That is not bitstreaming anymore if the audio is molested by inserting data (duplicating packets or dropping). Even James from Slysoft agrees that it is not real bitstreaming. Bitstreaming can be considered only if the encoded data is transfered as 1:1 to the amplifier.

What comes to the fact that it was not noticeable most likely iy was not done too often and it was just happening on cases were it was not causing any noticeable difference to audio. But what is point of running after bitstreaming if you aren't wanting real bitstreaming? :)

IMHO this is a little bit black/white argumentation. ;)
    I prefered having inserted a single frame about every few minutes minutes which was not noticable over having that stutter every few minutes.

However it's a matter of taste so I respect your point of view.
    Thanks for picking up the discussion.

grubi.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    60Hz vs. 50Hz is approx 25% speedup and that is not currently supported (only up to 6%). I'm not sure if anyone wants to look at the movies that are having physic laws that are acting 25% speed up :) It might be less distrubing to watch constant stuttering.
    That is why I did not look at this originally but then managed to calculate the difference as about 5.8% (no I have no idea how I did that :oops:)

I like the old James Bond films where the car chases are sped up to about double time so 20% speed is fine ;)

Ok to test I might hook up the Dev PC to the plasma at 50Hz and play a ripped bluray at 23.976 which is less than the 6% threshold.

Is there any point in using EVR in software mode in XP for testing or if this likely to cause more issues?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

IMHO this is a little bit black/white argumentation. ;)
    I prefered having inserted a single frame about every few minutes minutes which was not noticable over having that stutter every few minutes.

I bet decoding to LPCM and then resampling it would be as well unnoticeable since the artefacts that is causing to the sound are smaller than manipulating the encoded stream is causing always random sound to appear.

If / when audio renderer will have bitstreaming support in the future it will be real bitstreaming support, not something where audio is molested by dropping / repeating the encoded audio data. But at first lets get the audio renderer's main goal reached :)

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The only use I can see for bitstreaming is if you want to use MP audio renderer for some formats but automatically switch to bitstreaming on others. Say, if you have some video that is TrueHD and your codecs don't support it, you let the renderer bitstream the audio to the amp as is. But on another video that has AC3 audio and fps mismatch you allow the renderer to receive decoded audio and timestrech it so you get smooth playback.

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The only use I can see for bitstreaming is if you want to use MP audio renderer for some formats but automatically switch to bitstreaming on others. Say, if you have some video that is TrueHD and your codecs don't support it, you let the renderer bitstream the audio to the amp as is. But on another video that has AC3 audio and fps mismatch you allow the renderer to receive decoded audio and timestrech it so you get smooth playback.

Sure. Infact the last ffdshow audio allow to set bitstreaming allowing to disable decoding for selected audio format.

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Had some issues with the earlier versions, lipsync mainly, and I have just tried v5 with no success.

Using the renderer I tuned on TV and no picture is displayed, using the NVIDIA HDMI Out on it's own as the renderer works but the one here produces no picture and no sound.

Logs are attached

Please check if using {0.0.0.00000000}.{4616abfc-985b-40be-9f77-129cab1183f3} as the WASAPIPreferredDevice setting in registry helps at all,

Thanks for that and I'll add the extra bit for other ION users
    WASAPIExclusive also needs to be set to 0 or there is no sound.

It has resulted in a much smoother picture with practically no stuttering.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Thanks for that and I'll add the extra bit for other ION users
    WASAPIExclusive also needs to be set to 0 or there is no sound.

It has resulted in a much smoother picture with practically no stuttering.

Sounds like NVIDIA's drivers wont work with the event driven WASAPI mode. When playing with non-exclusive mode please make sure that the graph actually has the MP audio renderer in use and not the default directshow one.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    57 downloads on the latest audio renderer & dshowhelper binary and not that many replies? I guess the renderer is working quite nicely.

A quick update on the AC3 / SPDIF re-encoding on the fly. Proof of concept is working on my dev PC. I can now re-encode 2 channel audio to the AC3 instead of passing it directly as (L)PCM. AMP shows the "Dolby Digital 2.0" correctly and there is no pops nor clicks. But it is only POC and requires more work to get it to integrated with the multichannel code after it has been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom