MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (3 Viewers)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Just not to keep this thread too quiet, here is a small status etc. update:

• WASAPI shared (non-exclusive mode) is now fixed.
    • NVIDIA has some driver bug that wont allow their HDMI drivers to work in WASAPI exclusive mode with the event / pull mode buffer filling (I have decided not to support the earlier polling based way - it is just too unreliable from quality point of view) - I'm currently trying to get some NVIDIA driver developers attention to that issue, but you know how hard it will be... I have received no answer (and to be honest I don't even expect to receive).
    • 24 / 32 bit samples should be supported now.
    • Multiple minor fixes (including some minor lipsync correction on skipping)

So, if anyone has any contect details (or friend(s) at Nvidia :)) for NVIDIA driver developers I'm more than happy to receive such.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'm trying to test your renderer on my secondary htpc, but it won't load. Is it always bitstreaming method used with my GPU's (ASUS EAH5450) internal HDMI/DP-audio chip? Trying to get audio out via HDMI. In that case cannot use this renderer- right?

Logs showing that MP is really trying to insert this renderer, but then comes some memory protection exceptions. Am I missing something (nothing new I mean :D)?

Attachments

• mediainfo.txt
      2.1 KB

Seeco

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2007
    Linköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Tourettes: About your latest reply, does it mean that you updated the renderer before posting? I'm having some lipsync troubles here and there, that's why I'm interested.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'm trying to test your renderer on my secondary htpc, but it won't load. Is it always bitstreaming method used with my GPU's (ASUS EAH5450) internal HDMI/DP-audio chip? Trying to get audio out via HDMI. In that case cannot use this renderer- right?

Bitstreaming will happen only when audio renderer will do such on purpose.

Logs showing that MP is really trying to insert this renderer, but then comes some memory protection exceptions. Am I missing something (nothing new I mean :D)?

What ffdshow version you are using (or what audio codec)? chemelli had similar crash with older ffdshow revision.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Bitstreaming will happen only when audio renderer will do such on purpose.
    Ok, thanks.. I wasn't familiar with that before.

What ffdshow version you are using (or what audio codec)? chemelli had similar crash with older ffdshow revision.
    I'm using ffdshow tryouts revision 3351, Apr 8 2010. I try to update that first.

EDIT: That didn't help. Now using ffdshow revision 3507, Jul 07 2010. Catalyst driver is the latest that ASUS provides 8.711 (that includes audio driver). Btw, Should this work with software based EVR (using XP on that comp.)?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'm using ffdshow tryouts revision 3351, Apr 8 2010. I try to update that first.

EDIT: That didn't help. Now using ffdshow revision 3507, Jul 07 2010. Catalyst driver is the latest that ASUS provides 8.711 (that includes audio driver). Btw, Should this work with software based EVR (using XP on that comp.)?

Try using the registry setting to force the DirectSound into use. It could be that there is some WASAPI related code that is tried to be run on XP (unintentionaly).

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Tourettes: About your latest reply, does it mean that you updated the renderer before posting? I'm having some lipsync troubles here and there, that's why I'm interested.

No public build is available that has lip sync improvements. Currently it is targeted that the next build would be done when the multi channel and AC3 encoding would be ready.

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Try using the registry setting to force the DirectSound into use. It could be that there is some WASAPI related code that is tried to be run on XP (unintentionaly).
    Thanks, that did the trick :)

Test results:
    Video and audio are perfectly in sync and video is played smoothly. Some tearing is visible and Audiorenderer.log is full of messages 'receiveSamples: Output sample queue was empty!'. If I disable timestretching tearing and those messages are gone (but so is perfect play too of course). Logs attached...

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Tourettes,

I took a play with Matthew van Eerde's exclusive WASAPI code on the Nvidia HDMI drivers and I have to admit defeat - I can't get anything to go past the initialization in exclusive mode (0x80070057). The drivers do provide proper errors e.g. 0x88890008 for formats which aren't allowed. When I try the same tests on an intel and AMD based chipset I do get my test sound outs so it doesn't look like anything I've done is wrong - and that's always a real possibility. So I suspect the drivers (at least v1.0.15.0) don't work particularly well and it may be a lost cause trying to make it work without Nvidia fixing some of the bugs in the driver.

The only Nvidia machine is the main living room machine so I'll try to revert the drivers to older ones to see if any of the versions work when my wife is not using it (break TV = unhappy wife).

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom