Ongoing Mediaportal Dedicated Cinema Room (1 Viewer)

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
December 11, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well the selling of the 330i had to be offset by something and this is it, a dedicated cinema room that I'm starting. Hopefully ready to watch within 2-3 weeks and sticking to a pretty tight budget.

This is the room that's been converted. It's roughly 10.5ft by 13.5ft, has no windows and is 2 floors from any bedrooms so noise shouldn't be an issue. We moved in around 6 months ago so this is how it was when we arrived.

cinemaroom01.jpg

cinemaroom02.jpg

cinemaroom03.jpg

cinemaroom04.jpg

I've just bought the projector and ordered the AV equipment but as always I think my ideas are outstripping my budget so something's may have to wait a bit.

The first thing to do was to get rid of that god awful brown we inherited! I've settled on 3 colours. 3 of the walls are Dulux 'Urban Obsession' which is like a dark grey. The ceiling is Craig & Rose 'Arabian Red', which should match (roughly) the carpet I've chosen.

This is the only in-progress pic I remembered to actually take!

cinemaroom05.jpg

I did come across a significant budget issue regarding the screen I was wanting to order which has meant a rethink. For now basically I cannot afford one so I've gone down the painted wall route.

Some sanding and some 'Warm Pewter' later and this is the projection wall.

cinemaroom06.jpg

Then onto the ceiling in Arabian Red!

cinemaroom07.jpg

cinemaroom08.jpg

cinemaroom09.jpg

cinemaroom10.jpg

I'm doing some testing later on tonight with the actual projector.

BenQ W1070 - http://www.trustedreviews.com/benq-w1070-review

It's still at the very good price of £437!! Given I have no windows to compete with and it doesn't have to be hidden anywhere etc this seemed a great choice and value!

Also got a 5 star bargain in my audio options.
Yamaha RXV377 - http://www.whathifi.com/yamaha/rx-v377/review
Q Acoustics 2000i 5.1 Package - http://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/2000i-51-pack/review
£650 for both!

Got some new toys last night!!!!

cinemaroom11.jpg

Took a while to do a test setup but well worth it!

How'd you like my test projector mount?

cinemaroom12.jpg

And some test footage shot with my phone camera so not quite the best example, def better in real life!

cinemaroom13.jpg

Not sure how good this is going to be but did a brief video on the phone as a test. Sound is awesome through these speakers!

BenQ W1070 Test Setup - YouTube

More work gone on now! Got Friday as the opening night!

cinemaroom15.jpg

cinemaroom16.jpg

cinemaroom17.jpg

cinemaroom18.jpg

Everything in wood at the moment will be black.

I've bought a load of speaker cloth which will be covering the front panels (detachable) so all you should see is darkness underneath the screen.

cinemaroom19.jpg

cinemaroom21.jpg

cinemaroom20.jpg

More tonight/tomorrow!
Sofa just arrived!! Woohoo!

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
December 11, 2013
Home Country
Last nights work:

Got the removable panels done and all the little bits painted!

Pretty much how it's going to look now.

cinemaroom22.jpg

cinemaroom23.jpg

Also changed both doors so they open out to make more room for the sofas etc. Sorted the flooring ready for the carpet installing today!

cinemaroom24.jpg

cinemaroom25.jpg

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
December 11, 2013
Home Country
Pretty much done now (bar paint touch ups, 2nd coats here and there).
Going to get stuff for walls but not sure yet, certainly some sort of acoustic treatment.

Anyway, the carpet is down and sofa set in!

cinemaroom26.jpg

cinemaroom27.jpg

cinemaroom28.jpg

cinemaroom29.jpg

First film: Avengers Assemble!

cinemaroom30.jpg

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
December 11, 2013
Home Country
This was done before the cinema room but was probably more involved given the new floor, skirting, removing fire etc. Fairly straight forward to do but time consuming.

This is what we had to deal with:

livingroom-01.jpg

Just some of the stuff needed to complete the job!

livingroom-02.jpg

Similar to the Cinema Room (although this was done first) we went for a grey colour on the walls. Much lighter for all walls bar the TV wall which was done in Urban Obsession as a kind of feature wall. Dining room was done in a light neutral colour.

£7.50 slimline tv bracket, a hole in the wall and the wall bracket that came with the LG soundbar.

livingroom-03.jpg

Fire was removed and the fireplace, then filled in with plasterboard. TV unit thingy was made up and plasterboarded too ready for the plasterer.

livingroom-04.jpg

That's pretty much it!

The mediacentre/server sits inside the unit (which can be accessed by lifting off the wooden top) as well as all cables etc. This completely eliminates any
noise. I used a found recording of the world cup of all things as a test!

The LG Soundbar has a sub that connects the bar itself via Bluetooth so that's next to the settee as no wires are needed between them.
2 network leads go behind the skirting boards on the wall the fire use to be on so that takes care of those.

livingroom-05.jpg

livingroom-06.jpg

New settee arrives this Friday as well as some stuff for the wall so I'll post some more up then.

Dining room with fish tank next!

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    With your lounge room, what are you using as a pc and does it not get hot inside the box?

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
    December 11, 2013
    Home Country
    The 'box' is the entire unit. It would be like sticking a motherboard etc in a large fridge, it will never generate enough heat to come close to getting warm. The unit isn't insulated in any way either.

Ave CPU temp is 36c.

I've literally got a motherboard with 5 hard drives on the bottom. No case or anything. Use to have it all in a large drawer and in 7 years never had an issue.

Modern PC's don't produce heat as much these days, especially when all they do is MC stuff.

Andrew Rogerson

Portal Member
    December 11, 2013
    Home Country
    Few more things have arrived. Ordering 2 more to go on other walls!
    Really like these! Look darker than in photos.

cinemaroom31.jpg

cinemaroom32.jpg

I haven't got proper brackets up yet so they're not level etc. More for reference right now!

cinemaroom33.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom