[other] Mediaportal in 64 bit? (2 Viewers)

mpiva

Portal Member
June 29, 2009
Home Country
Currently mediaportal is marked as 32 bit, I understand that mediaportal uses a lots of dll from third party which are compiled in x86 architecture, which are the limitations of generating a 64 bit version right now. (Posible Incompatible parts).

My question is performance, currently HEVC x86 software decoders are really lagging against their x64 counterparts. x64 version seems to be 2 times faster than x86 version on MPC and LAV decoders.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I welcome the suggestion.

However, I believe that this is quite an undertaking, yet an opportunity to clean up some other leftovers, e.g. the installer that uses and outdated .Net version.

There might also be some older plugins that are no longer maintained and therefore can't be recompiled against x64 libraries.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    normally the x64 app can load x32 assemblies, so that shouldn't be a problem...
    Ah, excellent, thanks for confirming. I was uncertain about this point since my programming skills don't go beyond VBA :barefoot:..

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    Wouldn’t be better to make such decision for a future product? Wouldn’t be better to invest the necessary manpower to make a x64 version in a future product? If we all agree that MP2 is the future, wouldn’t be best to do it directly for MP2?

I don’t see any point of doing it for a previous/current product. This is not a “healthy competition” this is an unhealthy competition...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi @aspik ,

While I share your opinion - just look at my recent postings - I don't believe that this thread should now be turned into the routine discussion about resource deployment. Please open a separate thread in the internal section.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    [off-topic]
    @HTPCSourcer
    I know, you’re right, this is not the right place. It was just a desperate shoot ;) I’m up to date with your recent posts and I also agree with you. No, I will not start an another thread, there are already so many, without any effect :(
    [/off-topic]

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    normally the x64 app can load x32 assemblies, so that shouldn't be a problem...
    This is not that easy:
    If process runs in x64 mode (AnyCPU), you will fail to load pure x86 assemblies. If assemblies are also AnyCPU it works fine of course. But this is only the minor issue in the .NET world.
    All other unmanaged dlls need to be available in 64 bit as well (and there a few used in MP1/2). If such a dll is available in 64bit, you still make sure that P/Invoke calls use correct marshalling settings (i.e. pointer sizes are different).

Last but not least, the whole DirectShow chain (Source Filter, Video Decoders, Renderers) need to be available as x64 as well.

I did some tests before with MP2 but already stumbled upon multiple missing libraries for x64.

For regular GUI rendering etc. I don't expect any advantages to switch to x64 (i.e. considering some data structures are bigger). Maybe the video decoding would be more performant, but only in software decoding mode (HW decoders are probably not affected in performance terms).

For server process (MP2-Server/ TvService) it would also mean to have TV card / drivers / filter support for x64 as well, which I expect to be not always the case.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For regular GUI rendering etc. I don't expect any advantages to switch to x64 (i.e. considering some data structures are bigger). Maybe the video decoding would be more performant, but only in software decoding mode (HW decoders are probably not affected in performance terms).
    That's an important point. the OP stated that x64 is two times faster when it comes to video codec application such as LAV. As I said above, I believe that recompiling MP1 to x64 is a major task and it should be well balanced in terms of effort vs. results. I would also believe that the performance increase, if any, is limited as long as MP is running as a single thread application, yet I may of course be wrong here.

For server process (MP2-Server/ TvService) it would also mean to have TV card / drivers / filter support for x64 as well, which I expect to be not always the case.
    The majority of hardware drivers etc. should exist as a x64 version also. Obviously there will always be some stuff that is no longer be supported. That said, I would also expect that at some point evolution turns towards more modern solutions - provided that there is a true advantage.

Out of curiosity: Is MP2 x86 or x64?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom