[other] Mediaportal in 64 bit? (2 Viewers)

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Out of curiosity: Is MP2 x86 or x64?
    MP2 is 32 bit (same as MP1)

As written above, I once made some tests to make it 64bit, but there were too many stumbling blocks in form of unmanaged libraries ;)

mpiva

Portal Member
    June 29, 2009
    Home Country
    I don't know enough of the project, but it seems the directshow part is the more problematic. If i'm not wrong you can leave the TV Server as 32 bit without affecting Mediaportal. Off course pinvoke could be a pain in the ass, more is there is no way to get the x64 version parts. Just in case: https://github.com/rwfpl/rewolf-wow64ext

I have a pretty decent rig, i5 4660 with a GTX 970 under my TV. It was the perfect Media center, till 10 bit HEVC 4K come. External 64 bit players, seems fine. But mediaportal chokes. Keep in mind we have to wait to the nvidia GTX 1080/1070 to get 10 bit hardware HEVC decoding. And HEVC 10 Bit 4K seems to be, the new defacto standard.

mpiva

Portal Member
    June 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Mediainfo and sqllite should be trivial, i have both pinvokes for 32 and 64 bits, and a routine that binds the correct library depending the arch running, if you need it.

Dokan: Dokany fork, https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany seems to have signed 32 and 64 bit drivers, C# example, is anycpu last time i check.

Freeimage seems to have 64 bit version, donno about the pinvokes.

Donno about WNetEnum.

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    If process runs in x64 mode (AnyCPU), you will fail to load pure x86 assemblies. If assemblies are also AnyCPU it works fine of course. But this is only the minor issue in the .NET world.
    All other unmanaged dlls need to be available in 64 bit as well (and there a few used in MP1/2). If such a dll is available in 64bit, you still make sure that P/Invoke calls use correct marshalling settings (i.e. pointer sizes are different).

I recently stumbled on a alternative. There is a LegacyWrapper, which is using named pipes. More info in this blog post.

Maybe this can be used in a distant future ;)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I'll remember trying to do that, that too complex for me lol but can be nice yes. [emoji4]

Tapatalk

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I'll remember trying to do that, that too complex for me lol but can be nice yes. [emoji4]
    What are the possible problems? Need to rebuild all the plugins? Problems in DirectX? ...
    SQLite and MediaInfo have x64 version ...

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    We should create a specific thread for it [emoji106]
    And yes filters and all solution. But I'm not a skilled dev. I'm more a debugger man while testing and coding.

Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom