MediaPortal must use WPF (aka Avalon) (1 Viewer)

Ricciolo

Portal Member
March 26, 2005
Hi guys,
please you are not angry with me, but Media Portal is already old. Microsoft is rewriting Media Center using WinFX and WPF. WPF is fantastic and allow you to write powerfull skins and advanced graphics.
So I encourage you to replace interface with WPF keeping all directx code to record, play and so on.
It's a my suggestion :)

Bye

moullas

Portal Pro
January 15, 2005
Home Country
Cyprus Cyprus
and while you're at it, make it cross-platform, interface it with Dreambox, make it drive a car, and on the next version take over Mission Control for Nasa so it can control the Space Shuttle!!!!

DO YA HEAR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
please you are not angry with me

We aren't! The average user will be however if we were to switch as WPF does not utilize hardware acceleration under XP; meaning even the simplest animation will chew all of your processing power and leave none for recording... so its a good job that we started work on our own implementation back in April 2005 and that we're very close to completing the first phase which will offer hardware acceleration under XP, will further remove our dependancy on M$ and offer full compatibility with the WPF.

You should also have mentioned all the other benefits that the new model offers way beyond what you see on screen because there are far cooler things than the eye candy that M$ may offer with the next version of MCE.

Ricciolo

Portal Member
March 26, 2005
ahah, I know what I'm speaking about, and you?
Every pc have a 3d video card so it's no so impossible, and you could make skin that don't use the animation or special effects.

Microsoft are doing this, if you want to keep behing them continue by this road.
I know it is not simple, but easier than build interface using directx

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom

Your above comments prove that you do not. I suggest you do a bit of research on the subject.

if you want to keep behing them continue by this road

Also touch up on your reading skills as my first post in this thread clearly states that we are going the same route as M$ but with our own implementation.

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Ricciolo said:
    Every pc have a 3d video card so it's no so impossible, and you could make skin that don't use the animation or special effects.

Microsoft are doing this, if you want to keep behing them continue by this road.
    I know it is not simple, but easier than build interface using directx

Believe me - Smirnuff knows what he's talking about!!!!

Ricciolo

Portal Member
    March 26, 2005
    Smirnuff said:
    Your above comments prove that you do not. I suggest you do a bit of research on the subject.

I told to moullas and not to Smirnuff.
    So Smirnuff thanks for you answer and availability to answer me. I know you know I'm talking about.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Smirnuff said:
    we're very close to completing the first phase which will offer hardware acceleration under XP, will further remove our dependancy on M$ and offer full compatibility with the WPF.

You must love this question - but any idea how far away? January release of 0.2? Can't wait to get in to this, after playing with MCE (it's pretty) I'm itching to do more with the interface in MP!

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Hi Brocklander -

but any idea how far away?

Hehe I don't actually get asked the question that often anymore, the dev team and Frodo in particular have been incredibly patient throughout the whole process and have come to accept that it'll be done when its done. Giving an accurate answer is very difficult as I'm finding that I'm not pacing myself at all well and haven't been for sometime, getting manic periods where I'm hitting CVS really hard followed by ugly periods where something as simple as 2 + 2 + 2 causes me problems... it is however pretty realistic to expect this in the January release and I hope that it will have reached a stable state in time for the post 0.2 release.

Cheers,
    Smirnuff.

PS Still really like your icon :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom