Mediaportal on TV and Windows Desktop on Monitor together - working solution !!!! (1 Viewer)

stanik

Portal Pro
October 10, 2006
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi,

I am trying find some usefull solution - "Höw to running MP on TV regular windows desktop on LCD or Monitor", but nothing working yet.

Now I have workaround for this problem, tested and working like a charm :)

First - for setup You must use some VNC client!!!!! (in my case i have UltraVNC on HTPC and UltraVNC viewer on my second PC)

Second - this workaround is for NVIDIA graphic card (important)

So:
- connect to your HTPC (or PC with MP) trough VNC.
- After connecting you have screen of your HTPC on your secondary PC and you can use your mouse and keyboard for full control of your connected PC.
- On connected HTPC go in Screen options in the control panel (windows) or right click on desktop and choose properties
- choose tab settings
- on this window choose advanced button
- now choose tab bookmark with your graphic card option Nvidia (in my case GeForce 7300 GT)
- Now in displays set Dual view wit TV like a primary display and your monitor like secondary and click on Apply
- Also in this window mouse click on TV picture (image with TV picture and number 1) and click on choose set device (bottom right).
- Here you must set resolution (720x576 and 50Hz in my case) and Apply. Also confirm Dialog Window with settings confirmation. Press OK
- NOw you are back in Settings tab - go again to window with displays settings (Advanced - NVIDIA Tab - Displays) and choose your monitor picture and set resolution atc - same like previous TV settings). Also confirm Dialog Window with settings confirmation. Press OK
- Now you have picture on your TV and also you have picture on your monitor, but windows desktop is on your TV and Monitor is blank.

- go again in NVidia options (Advanced - NVIDIA Tab - Displays) and here choose Desktop Managing and enable it (nView Desktop Manager - Enable button).
- after this you have extended options under Desktop Managing.
- go in the Windows screen (under Profiles) and there set everything (Windows opening, dialogs) on Display 2 and click on Apply.
- go in Tools tab and here click on bottom right button a set your windows desktop toolbar and icons on display 2 and click on Apply.
Thats it!!!!!!!

Now go in Mediaportalsetup and setup Fullscreen startup.
Start Mediaportal and its in TV but you have normal windows desktop no your secondary monitor!!!!

Known issues - some applications must be overided individualy in Apllication tab (under Desktop Managing) for showing od Display 2
Also is good save your settings in Profiles tab (under Desktop Managing) and creating other profile with single monitor setup. In Shorcuts tab (under Desktop Managing) you can set keyboard shortcuts for each created profiles.

I am sorry for my poor english (not my mother language - Iam from Czech Republic) and also for some buttons and tab screen translations, because I have czech Windows XP :)

Thats all folks :)
Stanik

erik070

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    The Hague
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    There is 1 thing I don't understand. Why do you use VNC to setup your HTPC instead of just hooking up a mouse and keyboard to the HTPC (if there not already connected) and setting it up the displays?

Or do you use VNC to see the desktop of the HTPC on the second pc?

i-beast-a

Portal Member
    October 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm gonna try this sollution!
    I've been fighting with Nview and the same setup for a whole day....

i-beast-a

Portal Member
    October 22, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've been trieing this for an hour now and the first impression was o.k.
    But after that I found out that a lot of applications open on the wrong window.
    Especially playing games on the computer monitor is impossible!!

So if you ever want to play a game....don't put your money on this sollution.

Moving games to the other monitor does not work with nview!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom