Mediaportal Plugin Installer (1 Viewer)

Good idea?

• Total voters

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
November 30, 2004
Groningen, Netherlands
I'm in the process of trying to learn c# and got the idea of creating a plugin/app for MP which can install plugins. I've got the idea from Thunderbird/Firefox plugins, and I think that the same way of installing plugins could make it easier for people to add content and functionality to MP. Like the .xpi files of mozilla, MP would use .mpi files.

So, is this a good idea? Would you publish your plugins in this way? If nobody would, it would be just a waste of time.

I've got a little demo here:
http://rapidshare.de/files/7143133/MP_plugin_install_app.zip.html

There's an .exe and a .mpi file. If you run it you can (after a preview) add the club977 internet radio station to your database. The paths are hardcoded (for now), so it will work if MP is installed in de right dir. There are also no checks whether info already exists (yet) or other safeguards, and a idnumber is hard coded, so if you decide to hit the "Install" button it might be wise to backup your radio database (not to forget that I still very much suck at c# :D). I've hadn’t had any trouble though.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This should be a GREAT idea for noobies.

I would hope (however) that you wouldn't be opposed to adding error checking (because this would be used for new people or people without much PC experience), maybe a backup (as you had talked about, in case the user gets it totally messed-up), and then some user configurable items (like the ID number not being hardcoded and the install path) as you are learning and making this tool to be even better?

Mike

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2004
    Groningen, Netherlands
    If I'll continue, all the hardcoded stuff will go and error checking will be added. The only reason why the sortcommings are there is because I wanted to see if I could make this with keeping the code understandable (for myself). So, all features you might aspect in a program to help people not make errors and give a freedom of choice will be added then.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I think it is an excellent idea.

For now, most plugins are delivered in the basic package. With dsl you do not really care if mp is a 30 mb package or 40 mb.

this is the easiest way to ensure that the plugin works with new releases and with all skins.

but the number of plugins grows.

the new user might not even realize about all the suberb plugins, just because they are not activated in the standard setup. Don´t think you are asked for which plugins you would like to activate.

----------------------------------------------------

So, some things for your design:

1) how can you assure that only plugins, working with the release version of the user can be installed?
    options:
    # plugin is not updated/compiled against the latest version and does not work with latest version
    # as before, but it still works
    # plugin is for latest mp version, but user still uses an older version

a version number had to cover all options

2) how can you assure, that the plugin supports all standard skins?
    2a) how can you assure, that a plugin can be used with a skin not in the standard package - this is a general potential problem

3) how could you avoid, that the strings.xml is overwritten. Imagin user installs plugin A and plugin B. With the strings.xml that comes with plugin B he will loose the strings of plugin A. How would you solve this for the available foreign languages?

4) If you manage all this, I think about a plugin description in MP + screenshot + featurelist + install yes/no would be absolutely cool.

I know 1)-4) problems already exist the way plugins are handled now. But I think it is harder to code this than a forum solution.

mmmh. sounds a bit negative, but it is not ment this way. I really like your idea.

tomtom

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    tomtom21000 said:
    ...I think about a plugin description in MP + screenshot + featurelist...

tomtom - I wish we had the website organized in the same fashion. If we had that, then maybe (I did say maybe) there wouldn't be as many questions. Nah - nevermind, there will always be questions!

Mike

TheVideoViking

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2004
    Groningen, Netherlands
    tomtom21000 said:
    1) how can you assure that only plugins, working with the release version of the user can be installed?
    options:
    # plugin is not updated/compiled against the latest version and does not work with latest version
    # as before, but it still works
    # plugin is for latest mp version, but user still uses an older version

a version number had to cover all options

2) how can you assure, that the plugin supports all standard skins?
    2a) how can you assure, that a plugin can be used with a skin not in the standard package - this is a general potential problem

3) how could you avoid, that the strings.xml is overwritten. Imagine user installs plugin A and plugin B. With the strings.xml that comes with plugin A he will loose the strings of plugin A. How would you solve this for the available foreign languages?

To some of these problems I don't have a solution yet, and to some probably will never have a solution. With 1). Like it is with the mozilla-plugins, some you can't get installed because the version is outdated although it will work if you change these numbers manually. It would be up to the programmer to maintain this info, and knowing how many people drop projects half-way through that could be a problem... This will probably never be perfect as long as we have a continuously growing MP. Once the steps get bigger between releases (like going from MP 1 to MP 2) the problem should diminish

2) Don't know. I would say it is up to the developer of the plugin, but maybe we could come up with a solution. Just like with 3) like you say yourself, the problems are there now. I think that the best way to solve them is through a central tool. From what I know now (could be wrong though), I don't think it is very hard to add info to an XML with a program. Anyway, I will at least add an supported skin and language to the preview for plugins using this info. But is like mzemina says, there will always be questions.

tomtom21000 said:
    mmmh. sounds a bit negative
    Not at all. This is way I started this topic. I really want comments on thing I didn't think about so I can make a good decision on putting my time in this and solve the issues brought up. It is highly appreciated.
    And besides, you used the word
    tomtom21000 said:
    excellent
    :D

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    This is areally good idea and the end result would make a very useful addition to MP.

TVV if you run into any implementation problems please use this thread to seek assistance and we'll do our best to help you solve them.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    ou can think about meedio as you want, but the add-in system is a cool feature:
    http://www.meedio.com/maid/thelist.php?ptype=module

OK, here is another thing to think of: Is it possible to let the user also remove a plugin. After downloading and playing around with 6 plugins the user decides, that 2 of them do not suit his needs. There has to be a way to get rid of them easily.
    A work-around might be, to make them unvisible via disabling them in the home setup.

Usability is what your idea is about. So, users with low pc skills should be able to use it with ease.

Seems to be a hard task. Maybe start simple and let the thing grow?

tomtom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom