MediaPortal running as a shell? (1 Viewer)

Mr Pipps

Portal Member
December 29, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I would like MediaPortal to run as a shell instead of a Windows XP OS. This is so that when I start my media pc, only MediaPortal loads and not Win XP.

I've had a good look but have not been able to find anything in the MediaPortal wiki.

Can anyone help with how to do this? Thank you.

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
Found a couple of topics:

Standalone HTPC setup guide, and another one

seems running it as shell could cause trouble(as I suspected), but in the 'guide' another way is mentioned and reported to work.

edit: It is in the wiki as well. I was pretty sure I'd read something about it there. Its here, about in the middle of the page I think.

Mr Pipps

Portal Member
December 29, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Thanks so much for your help all that time ago.

I am about to begin my HTPC MediaPortal project imminently - and your advice has been very useful.

I will just add a reminder, that the Wiki 'looknfeel' link now appears to have moved to here.

Thanks again guys!

finrudd341

Portal Pro
February 24, 2008
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Hi Mr Pipps,

Can you post how you get on with running it as a Shell? It would be very interesting for any set top box style installations using solid state drives...

Good luck! :D

dA.oOZe

Portal Pro
February 8, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
I am using MP as shell since I started with my first HTPC about 2 years ago. It is running like a charm, except of the common problems related to MP itself.

One thing you should keep in mind is, that some default autostart stuff might not work, as it is fired only when using explorer.exe as shell. So some background tasks might not run causing the system to behave unexpected or loosing some functionality. But there are other ways to start programs in the background before MP is startet. "Scripted login" sounds like such a way.

The result is a system that consumes less memory, as explorer.exe doesn't run in the background - it's unneeded anyway.

I'd recommend to replace the default shell with MP, at least on a dedicated HTPC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom